Chapter 1 - At Home with the Malfoys

Jade

I sat and watched as Draco, my twin brother, produced pink bubbles from his mouth for the amusement of my mother and father. They had called us into the main living room of the manor house, as they had done every week, to see whether we were showing signs of magic yet. Evidently, my brother had, without even trying. I had been trying to produce something, anything, for months now, and still nothing came. I couldn't help but wonder what was in store for me once my parents realised that my brother was a wizard and I was... not. I tried to conceal a squeak of anticipation as my father looked at me with cold, grey eyes and said, 'And now you... Jade,' he said my name in such a way that it sent unwelcome shivers down my spine. I nodded uneasily, and I looked to my left, where I saw Draco sneering at me in his usual way. I clenched my eyes shut tight and balled my hands into fists and I tried. I tried the hardest I had ever tried before, just to try and please my parents. Did anything remotely magical happen? Well, what do you think? After I had been announced a Squib and sent up to my room, my five year old self didn't even consider the possibilities of what the day's actions could bring.

Funnily enough, a week later, I was sitting on my bed, focusing with all my might on trying to move a book on my bedside table, and suddenly, it trembled and shot forwards off the edge of the wooden cupboard. I stared at the book, now on the floor, unable to believe what had happened. My heart filled with joy and I leaped off the bed, pausing only to pick up the book off the floor, rushing down the many flights of stairs, to try and find my mother. I found her, sipping a glass of expensive red wine, talking with one of her lady friends. She gave me a look of contempt before drawling, 'What is it? I am busy,' I could hardly contain my excitement, but I politely stood with my feet together and my hands behind my back, (still clutching my favourite book) as I had been taught to do. It took all my strength to not scream out the next sentence with unaldulterated happiness.

'Mother,' I bowed my head slightly, trembling. 'I have some very good news,' My mother sighed, her thin nostrils flaring like a horse.

'What is it?' she tapped her heeled foot impatiently, and I presented my story book infront of her. She blinked once and raised her pale eyebrows at the sight of the dog eared book. 'And? What is so interesting about it?' I nearly wet myself with excitement (I was only five; give me some credit).

'Please, let me show you,' I replied, my voice shaking slightly. She nodded impatiently, and I moved forward and placed the book on the floor by her feet. I then stood back, and stared at it with the same intensity that I had done when in my bedroom. I stared and stared, not blinking so that my eyes watered and my vision went funny, but I didn't dare blink for fear of losing the magic. Because I felt it, but it just wasn't coming to me like before.

All of a sudden, just before I gave up hope, the book started shaking a small amount, just like before. Then, also like previously, it zoomed forward into the air, and as I stretched out my hands to catch it, it landed with a small and satisfying thump in my arms. Forgetting my manners momentarily, I jumped up and down in excitement, but at the look of my mother's face, I stopped and suddenly found great interest in my shoes.

'Jade Bellatrix Malfoy,' I looked up, and was surprised to see a look of terrible anger residing on my mother's usually beautiful face. My eyes filled with tears at the prospect of being locked in my room and never allowed out, as my juvenile self thought was likely to happen. 'Go to your room. I will be up shortly,' I could tell from her voice that she was barely controlling her anger. I nodded and without hesitation hurried up the stairs as fast as my small legs would carry me. As soon as I reached the safety of my room I was surprised to see Dobby sitting on the floor, putting my clean clothes away in the drawers under my bed.

'Dobby, you don't have to do that,' I volunteered, reaching out to take the pair of socks he was about to put away.

'No, Miss Malfoy,' he squeaked. Before I could convince him to let me do it, my door flew open with a resounding CRASH and I was yanked to a standing position by my dirty blonde hair.