Chapter two

Nobody's POV
Lily stepped outside, and sat down beside thorin. "So. How are things?" Thorin turned to her, disbelieving. "How are things? After three years, that's the best you can think of?" Lily shrugged. "Can you think of anything better?" Thorin paused. "Yeah, fair point. Things are much the same. Except I'm going to reclaim a mountain and slay a dragon with twelve other dwarves, a wizard, perhaps a hobbit, and you." Lily nodded, seriously. "Sounds fun. I've become captain of the guard at duncarraig. It's really boring." "Congratulations ." "I thank you."
There was a long pause. "Well this is awkward." Thorin muttered. Lily smiled lightly. "Extremely." Another long pause. Lily yawned. "Well it's been a long day, I'd better be going to bed.."
"Alright."
"Goodnight."
"Goodnight."

Lily's POV
As she stepped into the spare room, she cringed, inwardly. What had happened there?! She supposed that was what happened when two people who were really close don't see each other for a long time. It was awful. Why couldn't they just talk so easily like they used to? She flopped onto the bed with a groan. She hadn't been lying when she said she had a long day. She hadn't even known she was going to be going on the quest until earlier that morning when gandalf had called. When he had told her what was happening, however, she knew she had to go. She had quickly packed a bag, and ridden off straight away. And now here she was. As she lay in bed, she grinned a little. Who knew what would happen?!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The next day... Bilbos POV
"Wait!! Wait!! I've signed it!!" Bilbo yelled as he ran up to the company. He handed the contract to balin, and waited, panting, as he checked it. "Welcome to the company of thorin oakenshield!!" Balin said, kindly, to a soft cheer from the others. "Get him a pony." Thorin ordered shortly. Bilbos heart dropped. "No no, that won't be necessary, " but before he new it, there he was, sitting on a pony, with absolutely no idea what he was doing. What had he gotten himself into?!

As the dwarves around him threw small bags of coins to each other, Bilbo just concentrated on not falling off the stupid pony. Someone rode up to him, but Bilbo didnt bother to check who. "You're holding the reigns wrong." It was Lily. "Look, hold them like this." She quickly demonstrated how it was done, and Bilbo copied her. He smiled gratefully. "Thank you."

"No problem. So why did you decide to come? Not that I thought you wouldn't!" At that moment, she caught one of the small bags of money, grinning. "We placed bets on whether you would come. I said you would." She explained quickly.
"Ah. Glad you one money on me then? I'm not really sure why I came, I just felt I would regret it if I didn't, you know?"

Lily nodded in understanding. "That sounds like most of my life. ""I don't know why, but I'd regret it if I didn't."" Yep, that pretty much sums it up."
Bilbo laughed, and then winced as the pony stumbled slightly over s rock."how do people ride these things.?" He muttered to himself, and Lily smiled. Gandalf rode up to Bilbo, and Lily dropped behind. Bilbo sneezed, smiled apologetically at gandalf, and fished around in his pocket.
"Stop! Stop! We have to turn around! I've forgot my handkerchief!"