Chapter one

~flashback~nobody's POV
Thorin entered the inn, and walked over to the only free table. He sat with a groan of relief. He had been on his feet all day, helping his father. He ran off, when thrains back was turned, to this inn in Dale. A serving girl plonked a tankard of ale unceremoniously on the table, and raised an eyebrow. "Little young to be in an inn at this hour by yourself, aren't you?" "I'm older than I look!" Thorin replied defensively. She shook her head, but said no more.

As he sipped his ale, he looked around the room. It was filled with dwarves, men, he even saw an elf or two. His eyes moved to a table in the corner, and he stopped and stared. A young girl, she looked around the same age as him, sat curled up in the seat, scribbling in a book. She was alone too. Her long black hair fell into her eyes, and she flicked it back absent-mindedly. Her eyes met his, and he looked away, awkwardly. She stared at him, and then a small grin started to play across her face.

A while later, he "happened" to glance her way, only to find her staring at him. Now it was his turn to grin, as he sipped the ale.

Suddenly, shouting came from outside the inn, and the sound of a horse neighing wildly. The girl jumped up and ran out of the building, drawing a sword as she went. The inn went quiet, everyone staring at the door, but to thorins surprise, nobody went to help.

Without warning, a young man came crashing through the door, and fell on the floor. The girl strode in, wielding the wickedly sharp sword. The man scrambled to his feet and ran out. Everyone stared at the girl. She shrugged. "He tried to steal my horse. Nobody touches my horse." Thorin grinned, and let his hand fall from where it gripped his sword. She smiled back , and to his surprise, made her way over to him. "May I sit here?" She asked. He nodded, and she sat. There was an awkward pause.

"My name is Lily, daughter of carthach. I'm sorry for the intrusion, but I don't know anybody here, and you look the least like you'll kill me soo..." She trailed off. "That sounds about right. Are you alright, you seem a little young to be in an inn this late by yourself." She looked at him quizzically. "I'm no older than you. But you're right, I do need help. I'm on my way to erebor, for I seek council with king thror. I don't suppose you know how I could manage that." It took all of thorins willpower not to grin. "I could try." "Could you?" She asked gratefully. "That would be.."

"THORIN!!" Thorin winced and turned around. The door to the inn had smashed open, and in the entrance stood thrain, a murderous expression on his face. Thorin swallowed. "Father." The inn went silent. Lily gave a sharp intake of breath, and looked at thorin, shocked. "What do you think you are doing here at this time of night?! I never gave you permission to leave. Some day you will be king of Erebor, this is not acceptable behaviour for the heir to the throne! It's.." "Uhm, excuse me?" A voice asked meekly. Lily looked at thrain, shyly. Thrain frowned. "Who are you?!"

"My name is lily, my Lord. I'm sorry for interrupting, but thorin was just about to help me." Thorin stared at her in surprise. "You see, he was just about to bring me to Erebor, for I seek council with king thror." Thrain looked down at the girl. She looked to be about eleven or twelve, no older than thorin. She looked tired, and hungry. His gaze softened, a little. "Where are ..." He started to ask, but stopped when he realised that the whole inn were hanging on every word. "Come with me lass," he said kindly. Thorin gave a slight sigh of relief, but stopped when thrain glared at him. "You're still in trouble. Come."

Outside, thorin and thrain mounted their ponies. "I'm sorry father." Thorin mumbled. Thrain grunted. "I'm still cross, but I'll admit I did the same when I was your age. It's still no excuse. You need to learn to put Erebor first. Always." At that moment, lily rode up to them on a huge black horse, far too big for her. Thrain raised an eyebrow. "He was my fathers." Lily says in explanation.

A while later, they entered Erebor.Lily's jaw dropped as she looked around with wide eyes. She had never seen anything like this before. She followed thrain into the throne room, while thorin waited outside. Thror sat on the throne, looking grumpy at being called so late. Lily bowed.

"Thorin found this girl in a tavern in dale, father. She said she wished council with you." Thrain explained briefly. Thror nodded. "Well, lass, what is it? Be quick, we're all tired." He said, not unkindly. ,

"Your majesty. I come to you for I have nowhere else to go. My father was killed a twelve days ago, and before he....died...... he told me to come here. He said that you would find me a home." She rummaged in her pockets, and pulled out a crumpled letter. "He told me this would explain everything."

Thror raised his eyebrows, took the letter, and started reading.
Thror
If you are reading this letter, chances are I am already dead. This will mean that my daughter, lily, will have nowhere to go. She is a half breed,half human, half elf, not welcome in a lot of places, and the same people who killed me will be after her.
Her mother and siblings are still alive, but she cannot go back to them. It would be too dangerous, for them and for her.
Thror, my old friend, I know this is a large ask of you, but could you find her a home somewhere in your kingdom? Somewhere safe? Please, she will not be a burden. I have been teaching her weaponry, riding and a little healing. She already has the promise of a great warrior.
I thank you for this kindness, from the bottom of my heart.
Your friend,
Carthach, son of Celestion .

Thror stared at the letter for some time. Lily waited anxiously. "Your father wanted me to find you a home in my kingdom." He mused, without taking his eyes off the letter. "He was a good man, even for an elf." There was a long pause, and then he raised his eyes to lily. "You can stay here, with my family." His mouth twitched. "If you become half the fighter your father was, I want the credit!" Lily stared at him in shock. "Your highness, I ...I... cannot thank you enough, this, well.." Thror looked at her in amusement. "You must be tired. Thorin will show you to your rooms." Lily bowed, and went outside to join thorin.

"He let you stay here, did he?"
"I feel you were listening to everything that was just said, so you already know the answer." Thorin laughed.
"You're still going to talk like that, even though you know I'm a prince?!"
"Somebody has to make sure you don't get too high and mighty!" There was a pause.
"Are you an elf?" Lily started slightly.
"I'm part elf. My father was, but my mother is human."
"Is she still alive?"
"Yes, but I haven't seen her for ages."
"Oh." They walked to her room in silance. When they reached the door, thorin took a breath. "This is your room." "Thank you thorin."
"Just call if there's anything you need, and a servant will help you."
Lily smiled. "Thank you."
"Can you fight?"
"Why do you ask?"
"In the letter it said you could, but girls can't fight." Lily smirked. "I'm too tired right now, but tomorrow I'll show you just how a girl fights. "
Down the corridor around a corner, thror and thrain smiled. "They are going to be such good friends."

A/n it finally posted!! I'm so, so sorry about the delay, but i hope you enjoyed it!!