The Tour

"I remember I dressed in a fine suit that evening, Friday, April 16, 1897, to greet my guest. I planned to be very charming. I walked from my small darkened room into the bright lights of the entry and opened the front door of the building. I opened it with a wide smile on my face and then stuck out my hand to greet her. I gave her a firm handshake while looking into her eyes, and I continued to smile.

"'Miss Rabel, please come in,' I said in a cheerful tone.

"I think she was a little surprised that I seemed pleased to see her. I saw that she had a small suitcase, along with her purse, for her overnight stay at the Cosmopolitan Hotel.

"'Edith,' I said, 'I am happy to meet you. Nellie has told me about you. I must tell you, I realized it was only a matter of time until someone found out about our little scheme. Nellie and I have been quite careless . . . so welcome to my laboratory. Would you like some tea perhaps? Or maybe you would just like for me to give you your money so you could leave? Whatever you would like is fine with me.'

"'Well, Mr. Edison,' Edith replied, 'I am surprised and a little taken aback. I thought you would be furious with me. I am shocked to find out you are not.'

"'Don't be silly, Edith!' I said. 'I am just amazed that someone did not find out sooner! So would you like me to get your money and then take you to your hotel?'

"Edith hesitated and remained standing in the open doorway. She placed her hand on the back of her neck for a few seconds. I don't know whether she felt a shiver or perhaps felt the hair stand up on the back of her neck.

"'Well,' I said, 'at least come in and step out of the cold.'

"Edith took one step forward, and I closed the door behind her. 'Yes,' Edith replied nervously. 'Yes, I think I would just like to get my money and leave.'

"'Well, that will be no problem,' I said. 'I'm going to get the money for you now.'

I paused for a moment, looking at her, with a concerned look on my face. 'Edith, as a rule,' I said, 'I don't allow anyone in this building except my employees, but would you like to come into my library and make yourself comfortable while I get the money for you? I know it's quite cold outside, and you can warm your hands by the fire while you wait.'

"Edith considered the offer, looked around the room and then said, 'I think that would be okay.'

"I told her that she could leave her suitcase at the door. She proceeded to follow me. We had to walk through one of my experimental rooms prior to entering my library. Edith looked slowly around the room as we walked through it. She could see the large machines and the thousands of glass bottles that were filled with chemicals neatly lined up on shelves against the wall. We entered the library, and I walked her toward a chair near the roaring fireplace. I motioned for her to sit down and said, 'Here you go. I know you'll be much more comfortable waiting here. It might take me a minute to get the money because I need to unlock my safe first,' I explained. 'Please let me take your coat and purse. And here, please have a seat.'

"Edith let me help her off with her coat.

"'I'll place your coat and purse right here,' I said, putting them on the chair next to hers. I smiled at her as I turned around and proceeded to walk out of the room.

"Just as I was about to leave, I heard Edith say, 'Mr. Edison!'

"I turned around slowly to listen to her. 'Yes?'

"'I know it's late, Mr. Edison,' said Edith, 'and I realize very few people are allowed in your laboratory; but, if you don't mind before I go, I think I actually would like a tour of your laboratory. I have read so much about it, and it's much larger than I had imagined.'