Meeting with Nellie

"That Thursday evening, I received a telegraph message from Nellie. She stated she had an urgent issue and that she must speak with me as soon as possible. She said she would be arriving on the first train Saturday morning.

"When she came into my parlor Saturday morning, I could tell she had been crying. Her face was puffy, and her nose was swollen and red. She closed the door behind her and then broke down in tears.

"'Oh, Thomas,' she said, 'the worst thing possible has happened.'

"'Nellie, what is wrong?' I asked. 'Are you ill? Is it Pitt or one of the children?'

"'Thomas, I am so, so sorry,' Nellie blubbered. 'I don't think you will ever be able to forgive me. I am so ashamed. It's entirely my fault.'

"'What is your fault? Damn it! Tell me now!' I shouted. 'What in God's name is wrong?'

"Nellie took a deep breath and said, 'Someone has found out. Someone at work knows what we have been doing. I don't know how she found out! I don't know what to do!'

"'What do you mean, someone at work has found out? Did you tell someone?' I shouted at her.

"'Of course not!' Nellie screamed. 'Last Thursday evening, a coworker of mine, Edith Rabel, took me aside and told me that she had figured out that I had been sharing the patent applications with you. I don't know how she found out.'

"'Oh, my God,' I muttered to myself.

"There was silence.

"'How much do you think she really knows?' I asked.

"'She knows too much. She wants to blackmail us. She said she wants to receive fifty thousand dollars for keeping her mouth shut. She threatened to go to the newspapers. She said she will reveal everything if we don't pay her. I'm so sorry. I must let her know what we are going to do by Monday morning. I don't know what to do,' Nellie explained.

"'I can't believe this. Let me think,' I said.

"After a few minutes I asked, 'What about her family?'

"'What do you mean?' Nellie said.

"'Does she have any family?' I asked. 'Is she married? Does she live alone? Could she have told anyone else?'

"Nellie thought for a few seconds. 'Well, I don't know her well, but I do know she moved to Washington, DC from New York. I am almost positive I heard that her mother died about three months ago and that she has no remaining family.'

"'Nellie,' I said, 'listen very carefully to what I have to say. I need you to follow my instructions to the letter. Do not ask me any questions. Just do exactly what I tell you to do. Is that understood?'

"'Yes, of course,' she said.

"'Meet with Edith early Monday morning,' I explained. 'Tell her I have agreed to pay her the money. Let her know that she must be very discreet and must come to my laboratory on Friday night to pick up her payment.'

"'And, Nellie, listen carefully because this part is very important. I need you to tell Edith that fifty thousand dollars means nothing to me and that I have a new invention that will make me so much money, I'll never be able to count it all.'

"'Whisper to Edith that I have an invention that will stop the aging process. That once a person uses it, regardless of their current age, they will age no more. Tell her that you have seen the invention and that you know it works. Tell her you are trying very hard to convince me to let you use it. Also tell her you are relieved to be able to confide in her. Make her feel at ease.'

"'Have Edith come by my laboratory Friday night at 8:00 p.m. She must come alone, and tell her not to be late. Tell Edith if she brings anyone with her, or if I find out she has told anyone about the meeting or the money, I am willing to risk her going to the press. I'm willing to risk it because my new invention will exonerate me.'

"'Tell Edith to take the train, and, when she arrives at the train station, tell her to take a carriage to my laboratory. Because I realize she will be arriving at a late hour, tell Edith I will make arrangements with the Cosmopolitan Hotel for her to stay overnight. Let her know I will take her to the hotel after our meeting on Friday evening. The hotel, as you know, is located near my laboratory. Tell her to pack a small bag for her overnight stay. I will plan to pick her up at the hotel on Saturday morning and take her back to the train station.'

"'And, oh, Nellie, on Friday afternoon, after everyone else has left the patent office, go through Edith's desk and make certain there are no notes that she has written down stating that she will be meeting with me on Friday evening. If you find any, be sure to destroy them. If anyone asks you about Edith in the future, you haven't a clue where she's gone or why she left so abruptly.

"'Thomas,' Nellie said, 'you're not going to hurt Edith, are you?'

"'No, of course not,' I replied. 'I'm just going to make certain she has her money, that she agrees not to work at the patent office any longer, and that she is satisfied with the arrangement.'