Please, Nothing Good

Sorry for not updating sooner! Anyways I hope you like this chapter and I can't wait for you guys to read the next one:)

// //

Riley's POV:

This silence is uncomfortable. I've never realized how long the walk is from my house is to the subway station. But with Charlie here, not saying a single word, this is the longest walk of my life. I would initiate a conversation with him, but what would I say? 'Hey charlie, did you mess with any other girls while you were away?', so yeah. I'll just stick to not talking.

We turn onto Bleeker Street and I can finally see the steps down to the station. Thank God. The subway leads to this 'special place' that he is taking me. The place leads to this date getting over. And this date getting over leads me straight back to how life was before. But all of a sudden, I'm nervous. What if he won't go away after this? What if I say something wrong? What if I actually like him? No. No. No. Knock it off. I just have to get through this date. And once this is over, I can go back to my new life, without Lucas. With Maya and Farkle. And most certainly, without Charlie Gardner.

Lost completely in my thoughts, we reach the steps and I nearly trip down the whole set of stairs. Ugh, miss klutz at it again. I steady myself, making sure not to make eye contact with Charlie. We walk down the stairs and onto the platform, and wait for a train for what seems like hours.

"Riley?" Charlie says, stepping in front of me.

"Mhm."

"Are you okay? You haven't said a word to me yet."

"Oh, I'm sorry. How was your day? Good? Good. Mine too." I say, rolling my eyes. You would think he would understand that I don't want to speak with him after what he did.

"Riley you know what i mea-"

"Oh look! A train!" I say, running onto it. He mutters something to himself and quickly follows, snatching a seat next to me. The subway starts with a thud and my shoulder slams into his. I look down, and realize where we're sitting. Of course. The priority seat. Right how I met Lucas, right how I kissed him. The words of my father in eighth grade come back to me, "There are no such things as coincidences." I shudder and shake that thought out of my brain.

"Are you cold?" he asks, probably because i shuddered. He picks up his coat and begins handing to me.

I lift of my coat from my lap, "I have my own coat, but thanks for the cliche gesture." He looks down into his lap, embarrassed. Okay, I admit, that was too far.

"Look I'm sorry. I just... have a lot on my mind, that's all."

"I understand. You're going through a lot, and I'm not helping. But Riley, just give me this one date. And if nothing happens, I'm gone for good."

"And what if something good happens?" I ask. The subway jerks to a stop. The doors slide open and the speaker comes on: "Oak Street; Central Park."

Charlie looks at me, "Well..then..I can't promise that I'll be gone for good." He stands up.

"It's our stop." He says. I stand and pick up my jacket.

All I have to do is make sure nothing good happens. Easy.

"Are you worried?" Charlie says, smirking.

Yes. Yes. YES.

"No, not at all." I say. I raise my eyebrows, cross my arms, and we walk out

One night. One date. Two of us. Please, nothing good.

Farkle's POV:

"Farkle. Farkle? Farkle!" I hear Maya in the distance.

"Yeah, out here!" I yell back. She opens the main door that leads to the outside of the building of apartments which she lives in. She walks out and joins me on the top step. 

"Watcha doing?" She asks, nudging me with her elbow.

"Waiting. Thinking." I answer.

"About what?"

"I don't know. Everything. Riley. Charlie. Lucas." It's the truth. But honestly, I don't want to think about it anymore. I just need to get my mind off of the entire situation as a whole.

"Look, we handled Lucas. He's done with. Now all we have to worry about is Charlie, and he's never been trouble before, so what's different about this situation?" She says, staring up at the sky.

"It is different." I say. She looks at me and squints her eyes, confused. "This time Charlie isn't going to give up. And because of that, neither is Lucas." I look down at my feet, only somewhat understanding what I just said.

"And," Maya begins, "because of that, I'm not gonna let you give up either. Look, Riley's different. She is drawn to the troublesome, messy thing called love and happily ever after. It's her dream to find some "prince" of sorts. So because of that, I want her dream to come true. And I'm not rooting for Charlie. And definitely not Lucas. So it's you." She sighs, shaking her head at the thought of Riley's dream. 

I don't fully understand what Maya just said, but at the same time I do. And may I just say, I think Riley and I have a pretty similar dream. But I already know who I want to be with. That's the difference.

"Now what do we do?" I ask, turning to Maya.

"Hope." She says, her eyes twinkling when she says the word.

"For what?" 

"Nothing good to come out of their date tonight." She says smiling. She leans her head on my shoulder and whispers, "Just nothing good."

Please, nothing good.