5

© Bree Stonefield, 2013

White Dress

5.

I love you.

She stared at the cellphone all over again, eyebrows creasing in confusion. Why would he send something like this in the middle of the night all of a sudden? They weren't texting before. It was just so out of blue that he just suddenly said something like this.

I love you too, but what's wrong?

She felt her heartbeats running faster when fifteen minutes flew and he still didn't send a reply. She decided to call him, but he was not answering. It came straight to voicemail. It was unlike him to not answer his phone, and it sent her a huge wave of worry. She kept calling and calling until she was sure that he wasn't going to pick up.

He wasn't going to pick up. Why wasn't he picking up?

She let out a sigh as she sunk down into her couch. She twirled with the ring on her finger nervously. What did he mean by his vague text? Was he calling off the wedding? Was something wrong?

Where was he?

A knock on the door broke her out of her reverie, and she went to open the front door. To be honest, he was expecting him to stand at the front door, even though it was so unlikely because he was visiting his family earlier tonight.

But what she wasn't expecting was two police officers, standing there with a look of grief on their faces.

Her heart dropped, even though no words had yet to come out of the gruff-looking men before her. Nothing good could come out of the presence of two police officers at your door in the middle of the night. This meant bad news. She didn't want to hear any bad news.

But she knew she couldn't always get what she wanted, and a startled, pained gasp fell from her lips as the words came out of one of the men's mouth.

"I'm sorry, Miss..."

She fell to her knees as the words hit her like a ton of bricks onto her shoulders. Both men were trying to comfort her, but it did nothing to lessen the pain and shock that got her trembling on the floor. Sobs were hacking through her body, she was shaking uncontrollably as the tears fell down unstoppably down her face. She screamed, yelled at the top of her lungs, begging for God to undo her fate.

Why did this happen to her, to him, to both of them? What had they both done—what had she done—to deserve the cruel twist of fate? It wasn't supposed to end like this. They weren't supposed to end like this.

All of the memories and promises came rushing back, knocking and hitting into her hard. The life they both had planned to live—they would never come true.

She reached out a hand to her chest, trying to stop the pain. It felt hollow, it felt empty, it felt as if a gaping hole was there. She didn't want to believe this. She didn't want to.

It just hurt—her heart was hurting, breaking into million tiny pieces. And she couldn't stop it, no matter how long she wailed and cried and no matter how many buckets of tears rushed down her face.

They all couldn't bring him back.

He was gone. He was really gone.

 He was really gone