1

© Bree Stonefield, 2013

White Dress

1.

It was one chilly night in New York when he found himself kneeling before the girl whom he was sure was the love of his life.

Thick white winter coat wrapped tightly around her small body, and as her lips formed an 'O' in surprise, he couldn't help but smile slightly through his nervous reverie.

He pulled something from under his own thick dark grey coat, and if possible, her jaw dropped even lower. She let out a gasp and almost stepped backwards in surprise, but he could see for a fact that glinting light in her eyes as she stared at a little velvet box that was nesting on his palm.

"Clara, I..." he gulped as another wave of nerve washed over him. "We've been together for so long and for every single day that I spend with you, I can't help but love you more and more and I know I sound crazy or maybe I'm moving a little too fast but, listen to me. I love you, Clara. I love you. You know that, right?"

The petite girl in front of him nodded without a word, clearly speechless.

"I will be honest with you and I'll say that I've loved before you-I've loved a few girls before I met you but all these years, all these people... they could never give me the same feeling of happiness that you constantly give me every day. I've never loved anyone as much as I love you.

"We've been through a lot of things together, all this drama and bullshit and every single fucked-up thing that happened ever since I met you in high school. I've cried with you, I've laughed with you. You've been with me through the best and the worst moments that ever happened in my life and... and I'm happy that I have you with me through all those times and not anyone else. We have our demons and we fight them together. There are rocks along the path but we walk through them hand-in-hand. We fight and bicker and argue and we get angry and jealous at each other, and sometimes you drive me fucking crazy but I wouldn't want it any other way because as long as I'm with you, and as long as I know you're mine, everything is right. Everything is fine."

He paused to take a deep breath between his speech and she felt the need to say something... anything. "Trent..." But she couldn't find a word to say for the life of her.

He gave her a lopsided grin-a wobbly one. "I honestly wanted to ask you this later on our anniversary, but I just can't help it. I can't wait for that long and I'm sorry that I'm not sorry about it but here I am, kneeling in front of you in the middle of winter, waiting for the countdown of the new year, all because I'm so whipped.

"I know this is starting to sound very cheesy, so I'll just make it short." He let out a short, nervous chuckle and then he cleared his throat. "Clara Anne Gibbs, I'm in love with you. I want to spend my life with you today, tomorrow, and forever until the day that I die. I love you like I love no one else and I want to love you and only you for the rest of our lives-excluding my family and of course, our children."

At this point, tears were falling down her cheek and he fought the urge to stand up and wipe them all away himself, but he knew she wasn't hurting with those tears because she was laughing and smiling and sniffling at the same time as he spoke.

"I want to build a life with you, and I hope that you feel the same way too. I want you in my life, so I'm going to ask you this." He gently opened the black velvet box, revealing a very beautiful silver ring with a small, sparkling white diamond on top of it. "Will you marry me?"

She was quiet for a few moments, save from her sniffles and he was starting to get anxious. What if those tears weren't of joy? Oh God, what if he messed up? What if she-

"Do you really need to ask, Trent?" she softly spoke, cutting whatever train of thought that was running through his mind. She crouched down in front of him, her hands clasping his wrist, her thumb caressing the smooth of the box. She leaned forward so that their foreheads touched, and then whispered. "Yes. Yes, I will marry you and live a life with you until the day that I die."

The smile that spread over his face was so wide. His eyes were filled with shock, happiness, excitement, and disbelief-as if he really thought she would ever say no-and soon enough he was starting to laugh in happiness, her light, melodic laugh joining too. This time, it was him who lurched forward, kissing her gently on her forehead, and then on each of her cheeks, and then her chin, and her nose, and finally, her lips.

The kiss was soft, gentle, and quick before he quickly pulled away to stare into her gleaming blue eyes. Happiness was bubbling inside his chest, making every inch of his body tingle and waiting for the perfect moment to burst. He felt so alive that night, as if he was burning on fire right from the top of his head through the tip of his toes.

Her hands moved from his wrist to his neck, and soon later they found their way onto his cheeks. She held him gently, softly but at the same time, so firmly and desperately as if she was afraid that he would suddenly disappear. Because she was afraid that this all was a dream, that nothing was real. So she held on tightly, making sure that he wasn't ever going anywhere.

And he wasn't. She could feel his lips on hers and it was real. She smiled through the kiss and she slowly closed her eyes, leaning into him happily.

He, too, closed her eyes. Nevermind that they both were crouching in the sidewalk of the busy New York street, as long as he had her nothing else mattered.

He pulled away and opened his eyes before she did, and for a while he just stayed like that, watching the small, happy smile that danced on her lips. He took out the ring from the box, and gently pried her fingers from his face so he could slip the ring into her finger.

Her eyes were still closed when she felt the ring slowly sliding into her finger. That small smile on her face turned into a full-blown grin soon after. She stayed that way until he kissed her cheek, just under her left eye.

"I love you," he whispered.

"I love you more," she all but breathed.

Fireworks blasted off into the sky as they held their gazes. People cheered around them but they paid no attention. Couples kissed each other, sharing the very first kiss of the year together but they didn't care. The New Year had come, and along with it was the beautiful ring on her finger. Oh, how she wished they could stay like that forever.

 Oh, how she wished they could stay like that forever