Chapter Fourteen

The day was warm, the sun peeking through the trees at the edge of the meadow, and I lay looking up at the clouds that littered the soft blue sky. Smiling, I let out a breath as I listened to the soothing sound of the waves crashing on the beach. How long had it been since I had been so well relaxed and happy? Rolling onto my stomach, I felt my hair fall around me, free from it's braid. My teachings were finished, my father was gone, and the world was a different place. Yet, after over three cycles of just doing my duty of protecting my people and hunting to keep the bellies of the babes full, I had a strange sense of peace come over me. The mountains floated above me, the chanting and singing of my people washing over me.

       A smile seemed to be embedded onto my lips as I rose up on my feet, stretching my limbs as I felt the soft blades of the grass between my toes. Today was the one day that I was free to roam and explore without needing to hunt. It was a time for me to be relaxed, allowing me to find peace with Mother Tree. Yet, their was this strange feeling of danger on my shoulder. Shaking my head, I looked down at my feet, expecting to see my bow and arrows, but I realized that today I did not hunt. The meat had been placed in the ground to keep it cool and salted, the paint had been made, and my people were thriving. So why did I feel like I had something that needed to be done?

       Taking another breath, I walked away from the meadow, wanting to go to the Cliffside, collect my thoughts and rethink everything. My body did not hold my war clothing, nor did it hold my hunting drapes. Perhaps that is why I felt different? I wore the leather pelt of a wolf as my skirt, leather straps holding it on my waist, with a simple leather wrap for my breasts. Perhaps it could be because my strap that goes over my shoulder is not being used? No... I've done this day countless times, and never has this feeling occurred before. Perhaps it's because I'm wearing shoes? No... I never wear things such as that. My feet my be connected with the land at all times. The soles of my feet are strong, all the cycles of walking, running, cutting the skin, it had grown a patch of scale like skin, keeping it from being pierced.

       So why is it that I have this... weight on me? Sitting down at the ledge of the cliff, I could see the waves crashing onto the side of the rocks below me, reflecting different vibrant colors of blues, purples, yellows, greens, reds. Each was vibrant, flowing perfectly through the natural crisp blue of the Glass sea. Placing one leg over the other, I lay back on my arms, allowing the warmth of the morning sun to soak into my skin. How I wish that every day could be like this. Smiling, I opened my eyes as the soft breeze started to turn slightly heavier.

       My hair was growing long now, finally able to show my strength after all the long waiting of teachings. It whipped around me in twists and waves, seeming to dance across the air as the wind continued to blow. Then the sun started to fad behind a dark shadow. My eyes grew wide as I watched a figure in the corner of my eyes flash beside me, a dark figure walking in the water, following close by. Standing to my feet, I felt for the blade that I kept strapped to my thigh at all times. My Father had taught me to always carry something to protect yourself with. And now, I was truly grateful for that lesson.

        Walking slowly, I crouched slightly as I followed behind the fast figure, shifting through the trees until I could find a suitable trunk to climb. But, as I reached a climbing tree, I lost sight of the figure. Turning around, I looked from all angels to see if the figure could be seen. No one besides my people should be across this land. The meadows were sacred, protected by the gods, and none should trespass onto the soil unless blessed to do so. So... why is there someone here that shouldn't be?

        Running a hand through my hair, I looked around me, searching for any sign of life that had just been through here. Shaking my head slightly, I turned to the bushes at the base of the tree, walking around until I was hidden from sight. When I knew that it would be safe to climb, I jumped up to the lowest branch, easily pulling myself up, covered by the vibrant greenery around me. I climbed up, feeling the wind move my hair around, the rustling of the leaves keeping the air filled with sound.