Three Little Words

GMM #855 : "The Disturbing Science of Love" (Song For When You Want To Say "I Love You")

"I don't want to be that guy, but man, we kind of rocked that song!" Rhett said, bushy blond eyebrows raised high. "I don't think either of us missed a single note! Damn, we're good!"

Link laughed from in front of his laptop. "I've been meaning to talk to you about this inferiority complex of yours. You shouldn't beat yourself up so much!"

"All I'm saying is that we don't usually hit it so well in a live performance! It usually takes some good studio polishing to pull something like that off! We're really hitting our stride."

"Yeah," Link smiled, "we make a good team."

"We sure do, brother." Rhett came up behind Link and squeezed his shoulders, first companionably and then with unnecessary roughness.

"Ow!" Link yelped with a laugh. "Knock it off, jerk!"

"You love it!" Rhett continued to squeeze, yanking Link's shoulders back and forth a few times before releasing him. "I gotta take a crap. Don't do anything genius while I'm gone!"

"No promises," Link chuckled.

He continued to ruminate on what Rhett had said after the other man had left the room. He wasn't one to dwell excessively on his own awesomeness, but he wouldn't deny they made a good team. How else would they have gotten this far? Was it divine providence that caused them to get in trouble on the same day way back in first grade, the day they owed to everything that had happened since? What were the chances he would have connected at such a young age with someone who would be such a perfect match for him?

How do you define a relationship with so much history? Not only had he known Rhett longer than anyone but his relatives, but he spent more daylight hours with him than anyone else, even his wife. In a lot of ways he was closer to Rhett than he was to Christy. Not in all ways, of course, but what did it mean that those ways existed? What did it say about their friendship, or about his marriage?

The song they had just finished singing was still running through his head.

"Those three little words, they're so hard to say..."

Sometimes it's not the fear of intimacy that keeps someone from saying those three little words. Sometimes it's the fear of tearing your whole life down around your ears.

---

GMM #856 : "Love Potion Taste Test"

"What were we thinking, man? This was a weird one."

Link chuckled softly. "Yeah. I'm not gonna lie, we're pushing the brand a little these days. It's kind of hard to experiment with arousal and keep the convo in a PG rating."

"Yeah," Rhett laughed, "I mean, 'emotion in our ocean'? It's not just emotion we're dealing with here if you know what I mean."

"Yes, Rhett, I know what you mean." Link rolled his eyes.

"Those oysters, though!" Rhett continued. "Casanova knew what he was doing! That got the blood pumping, if you know what I mean!"

"Yes, Rhett," Link laughed, feeling his cheeks warm slightly, "I get it!"

"I mean, Jessie's always a ten, but I'm ready to get home and show her what a ten she really is..."

"Oh my gosh, man. Shut up already. I don't need to hear about it!"

"What, aren't you feeling ready to get home and help Christy get in the Valentine's Day spirit?"

"I mean, yeah, but...do we have to keep talking about this?"