Chapter 2

( Burton's POV)

I have been here for about a week and so far London has been pretty fun. Although very cloudy so far there has been no rain. I walked around the city. I went window-shopping at a few cute boutiques. I don’t know anyone-yet- that can show me around and bring me to the fun places. I’ve so far only been to the real touristy areas. That will hopefully change soon because school starts tomorrow.

                  I don’t know what to expect of a British school. I never even really got the hang of my old school. Now I have to go to a whole new school and attempt to make friends with people who I haven’t know my whole life? I’m going crazy!

                  I’ve never really been that good at making friends. Ever sense my best friend humiliated me in seventh grade-we are not friends anymore-I have had a hard time trusting people. Ann and I became friends during our eighth grade English classes where we bonded over our annoyance with Greg, a really smelly guy who sat in front of us. We have been best friends ever sense.

 Ann was also quit a treasure at our school. She was so nice to everyone, which made her very approachable. Many guys at our school asked her out but she had always only had eyes for one boy-Kaulder. She played along for a while and stayed in the friends-zone with him. She even dated a few guys. Then during the summer before junior year she had enough. I’ve always envied her courage. She never really worries too much about thing. So she asked Kaulder out!

Of course he said yes, explaining he wanted to ask her out from the start but was shy at first and then he didn’t want to lose her as a friend after becoming so close. They have been dating ever sense.

I knew that once one of us would got a boy/girlfriend we would not spend as much time together but that only lasted a week for Ann and Kaulder. Being friends for so long Kaulder knew how important our friendship was. We became a close-knit group after that always going out together. Kaulder asked me a few times if I was sure Parker and I weren’t dating, because we were always double dating with them. I explained that it wasn’t that way with us. The dates we went on with them were just like normal Friday and Saturday nights we spent together.

When we got to high school everything changed, for the better. I began to see boys as more than friends but they never saw me at all. Parker always insisted it was because I was intimidating but I knew it was a lie. All the girls at school, on the other hand, noticed Parker. Despite how geeky he thought he looked, he is very handsome and the sweetest boy in school. This made him a target for constant attention, which he had know idea how to handle.

Ann and I would watch from across the table, as girls would fawn over him. Though they were extremely obvious, and quit desperate, Parker was clueless. I’ve always wondered what would have happened if he had realized their intensions. Would I have been pushed to the background of his life?

I sighed at the thought. Heading to one of my new favorite stored I thought about how far away they were. I passed kids my age walking around together, making the best of what was left of the summer, and it just made me feel more alone. Although I had told my Dad I was going to be fine, I had started to get lonely. Especially when he went to work and I was left alone in a new city.

I’m a little sad that I won’t be at my school my senior year, and I’m really upset I won’t be on the volleyball team. I never planned on doing volleyball in college but I wanted to at least do it for all four seasons in high school. Ann and Parker used to come to all of my games. I know I’m going to miss them so much! Especially our Thursday night dinners just the three of us. We would go to different places all the time. Although Ann gets the same dish everywhere, Pasta with the sauce on the side with Parmesan cheese and butter. Parker and I can order for her at this point. I walked home smiling just thinking about all the fun time we had together.

I am a straight A student so I’m not really worried about college. My Dad also has enough money for me to go to a good school so I am very lucky. Although I’m not sure where I want to go or more importantly what I want to do. I figure I don’t have that much time to figure it out. I’ll be starting senior year tomorrow! I will make friends tomorrow I tell myself. Without my friends here I feel this year will be a bummer but I promised my Dad I would make the best of this.

Speaking of my Dad, he just called me into the kitchen for dinner. Mmmh smells like Italy in there!

** A week in London and Burton's missing home. 

Why do you think she's so insecure? Will she be able to move past that and make new friends? We will see, because she's about to head off to her first day at scool, in London! Wish her luck!