Prologue

Have you ever been so immersed in a risky yet adrenalizing situation that you can't think of anything besides what's going on at that current moment? I'm not talking about sending a risky text to the boy you like to find out if he likes you back. I'm not talking about running from the cops who are trying to bust the underage party you're at, either. I'm talking about having a secret relationship with your (not-so) best friend's boyfriend, just to get back at her for being a bitch but accidentally falling in love with him.

That's exactly the situation I found myself in last summer, with my best friend Kelli Carson's boyfriend, Cody Hayes. God, had I even known the type of guy—or should I say, coward/scumbag/liar—that Cody Hayes is, I wouldn't have even bothered with him in the first place. Hell, I wouldn't have even let Kelli within 100 feet of him. I almost feel bad that she took back the guy who had been cheating on her for months with her best friend.

But no one's talking about what a bad boyfriend Cody is. No, not at all. They're all talking about what a backstabbing slutty bitch of a best friend I was to Kelli. It's only the first day of school, and my locker is already branded with the word "SLUT" in capital, bold Sharpie, with an accompanying note, telling me I just had to go after my best friend's boyfriend. What's better? After months of this secret relationship, Cody is pretending he doesn't even know me at all.

Want to know what's worse right now than losing your whole friend group, the boy you thought you were in love with and the girl you once called your best friend in the entire world? It's being Brooke Cooper.

But if there's anything I learned from this whole journey, it's that things have a funny way of working themselves out. It takes time, but karma, good or bad, always finds deserving people.

I wish I could hate Cody. I wish I could hate him for lying to me, I wish I could hate him for pretending to love me, and I wish I could hate him for picking Kelli instead, but no. I don't hate him for anything. Cody Hayes considers me the worst mistake of his life. I consider him my greatest.

I should have known I wouldn't have stayed defeated for long. Cody and Kelli thinking they won? Cute. The entire school calling me out but choosing to ignore what Cody did? Alright. But ending up happier than I ever could have imagined with the absolute love of my life?

Who knew that one day I'd call myself Mrs. Hayes?