"Thank you, for helping me earlier, Alyn, uh . . . Sir Alyn." He smiled.

"Just Alyn will do. And it's no big deal, but why are you still here?"

Giles cleared his throat, throwing him a reprimanding look. "Do mind your manners, Sir Alyn. This is the princess elect you're speaking to."

The surprise on his face was evident. "Princess? Her? Are you serious?" His voice was full of disbelief, and I couldn't help but feel offended by his reaction.

"Quite." Giles voice was low and laced with a warning tone. I felt nervous looking between the two men, but then Alyn laughed, and he turned to face me.

"Tell me, Princess, does he know that you were trying to scale up the palace wall a couple hours ago?" I shrugged.

"I may or may not have left that detail out." He shook his head, his expression something between amused and incredulous.

"Giles, are you sure about this?" Alyn addressed him this time, and he didn't hesitate for a moment.

"Must I remind you to treat the princess elect with due respect when addressing her?" Unfazed by the bluntness, Alyn simply smirked at me.

"Well, we'll see how you work out." Having made his opinion of me clear, he strode off down another corridor, leaving me wishing I could say he was wrong for his doubt but knowing he was definitely right.

After Alyn stormed off, the man from the parlor during my flower chase somehow saw us and introduced himself to me. Of all the introductions today, Leo's had resembled chivalry the most— after I'd told him my name at his request, he'd repeated it softly to himself as if he were filing it away in his mind. Then before I'd departed, he'd taken my right hand and lifted it to his lips in a delicate kiss. Needless to say, I was quite flustered and didn't exactly know how to respond. But he'd just sent me another playful grin and wished me luck for my studying that was set to begin tomorrow. Before I'd walked away, he'd called after me, "I'll remember your name, so don't go forgetting mine, okay?"

Then of course, all the lightheartedness was promptly drained when Giles informed me of other duties that needed my attention. Apparently I was to choose a prince consort to "rule by my side, share the throne, and to save the kingdom from the dangers of an empty throne for perhaps multiple generations", in his words. The system was designed to prevent fighting amongst the aristocrats of the palace, thereby lessening the possibility of intentional bloodshed. After Giles' interminable lecture of the why and how, I was finally allowed to rest and he let me eat dinner by myself in my chamber, where I made the acquaintance of my "personal attendant" who was eager to help me in any way. Nico was his name, and his luminous smile and bright attitude somehow made the whole ordeal less stressful. I would have an abundance of poured tea for the rest of my life, if his enthusiasm was any sign.

He was off getting me a tray of various flavors while I sat on the marble edge of the fountain in the garden, surveying the plots of flowers. Dusk had come and gone, replaced by the soft glow of the moon that made everything seem dreamlike. My original task was still on my mind, mostly my failure, and I wondered whether Marie was waiting for me to return to the town. But then someone that was definitely not Nico stepped into view, and before I could react, he saw me, paused, and walked over.

"Still looking for that flower, I see." Oh, how I missed that flat, emotionless tone.

"Maybe I would've found it by now if certain people didn't feel the need to criticize my every move." I could almost see the little bit of frostiness melting from his expression until the corners of his mouth were pulled down into a deep frown.

"What business do you have wearing that?" He scowled, and I was bewildered until I realized he was looking at the pendant that Giles had given me as a necklace when I was changing out of my mud-stained clothes.

"Well, I don't know, honestly. I suppose—"

"That is an heirloom passed through generations of royal families, and exclusively worn by the princesses next in line for the throne." His eyes narrowed, reaching the only possible conclusion.

"I hope you remember that I didn't come here to be chosen as princess elect. Giles was the one who made the decision," I heatedly retorted, fed up with him thinking he could just strut around, throwing insults left and right on the days his hair dryer didn't work.

"Yes, Giles is entrusted with that power." He leaned closer, his eyes pinned to mine as he said, "But I don't think you have what it takes to be the princess."

"Well then it's a good thing I never asked for your opinion," I shot back, wondering why I was so hurt that it seemed no one approved of me and my social class. Come to think of it, had anyone from the town ever been the princess elect? When I'd stumbled into that parlor, it had been full of well-to-do women, no average-looking girl in sight, though every eligible female had been invited to the palace.

"Your Highness," his voice dropped to nearly a whisper, his face still close to mine. "You're going to find a lot of things that you never ask for, happen." He pulled away, his alabaster skin softened from the moonlight. He looked as stony as an ice sculpture, but I thought I detected a bit of sadness in his eyes.

"I suggest you leave the palace at once. I can't stand the thought of our kingdom's future resting on someone like you." Never mind.

"A commoner, you mean?" He only blinked placidly at the harsh bite in my voice. "Y'know, I'm not totally confident in myself right now either, but I'm still going to try my hardest."

He towered over me even after I stood up—all my weariness, confusion, and frustration at myself gathered like a storm cloud as I glared at the one person who decided to make their displeasure at the turn of events known at every opportunity. Somehow I controlled my voice to keep it firm and just loud enough for him to hear.

"I'm sorry I'm not a noble and that I don't have my own mansion and that I don't have enough money to buy ten million dresses I'll never wear, but what I do have is what I think is a good personality and a heart that knows what's right to do. And I'm sorry that you don't think that's good enough."

Too caught up in my emotions, I turned on my heel and marched back the way I'd came, passing Nico on the way and managing to conceal my fury as I told him to just follow me. Baffled, he obeyed and set down the tray on the little coffee table in my room.

"Your Highness, is everything all right?"

"I'm fine." That came out a little shortly, and I took a breath to cool down. It wasn't Nico's fault, after all.

"Sorry, it was just getting a little windy outside and I didn't want the tray to tip over or anything with all the nice cups," I lied, feeling bad when he smiled.

"Don't worry, Princess. I have excellent wielding skills." He always spoke just a little bubbly, his pitch changing from high to low in a matter of sentences and usually ending them with a laugh. He patted my shoulder.

"You should try to get some sleep; it's been a busy day for you. And you have to start your lessons tomorrow." Just the thought of the roles being switched— me being the student instead of the tutor — was reason enough to sigh. Already I could hear Giles' chastising.

"You're right. Thank you." He smiled again and left, saying all I had to do was call for him if I ever needed anything. But he couldn't give me the approval of the people most important to the palace, and I was ashamed to say that's what I felt I needed most.