Chapter 1:Thickets and Thick Heads

Qah Vrenn

He groaned as he turned onto his elbow. He was in the mood to throw up. Uncomfortable was an understatement. But as he turned over his feet touched and he noticed one warm and one cold. The sensation sent a shiver up his spine and let him know he was alive. But he wasn't sure he wanted to be.

Qah Vrenn was always grumpy when waking but coming out of the mists was a different issue entirely. It wasn't waking up. It was coming back to life. And that would make anyone grumpy. At least he knew his name.

The problem was, he didn't know the name of the person who betrayed him and sent him to the mists. It was a mystery to him and one he planned to solve, but not before a good meal and maybe an ale. When you don't know where to start searching, does it matter when you start searching? Anyway. Being dead is hungry work.

He was certain there was an echo. Maybe from the canyon... or maybe a past life. Someone else knew his name. But he didn't even know where he was, let alone where they were. He shook his head to try to clear the fog. A hundred years ago, it didn't feel this shitty.

As Vrenn rolled to his knees, he fought the dizziness. There was pain everywhere but he couldn't locate its origin. In such a case, you soldier on. You find an ally. You find your squad. That's what his head told him. But dammit. There was no one around.... There was an echo, and a memory. And a debt that was owed him.

As he was getting his bearings, he leaned against a tree, and it chuckled. The pain in his head was overbearing and he could hardly walk. As the haze cleared he started to see and recognize things around him. Why was he in Ascalon?

WAIT.

THE TREE CHUCKLED?

Rynakai

This silly norn was so funny. He was stumbling around like a human baby she had seen once. Making garbled noises and acting like he had never walked before. This one would be fun to play with. Rynakai giggled.

Qah Vrenn

Getting up from his knees, he took a better look around. It wasn't a tree. A lady with leaves for hair was laughing at him, and he had no clue why. Hell, hadn't he been dead for a hundred years? Or maybe it was just a day. He grunted and tried to remember words.

Ryna

"Ooo well aren't you just a little worse for wear?" Ryna laughed cocking her head to one side."Is the wittle norn hurt?" She taunted.

Qah Vrenn

Was snerk a word? He felt like it should be. But he didn't know how to apply it in conversation. The best thing he could come up with was. Something primordial.

flwrp.

He shook his head.... That's not a word.

Ryna

"What's the matter little norn? Forgot how to use your words?" Ryna prodded, hoping to get some reaction out of him.

Vrenn

He dropped his hammer to the ground. He was dazed still. And very confused. The only words he could come up with he uttered as if they were a prayer.... "It... hurts..."

Ryna

Rynakai giggled. Oh this was going to be a blast.

"Well that's two words down, but hardly a sentence." Ryna straightened up and folded her arms in an almost regal manner.

"Come on little guy think you could manage a sentence?" Ryna smiled tauntingly.

She new the norn did not appreciate to be called small, and considering that he looked almost twice her size she hoped this would coax an entertaining reaction.