I did but I did not know every foot soldier in the palace did as well...

“Seize this liar. Perhaps if she loses a finger, she will learn some manners,” the lieutenant commanded with a sharp wave of his arm towards Suzume who was still glaring at him.

A few men jumped down from their horses and came towards her. She took a tentative step back, but there were more mounted riders behind her blocking her path. Now would be a good time for Kaito to jump in and save me. She took another step and a spear poked her in the back. She yelped and rubbed the spot where the metal had pierced her clothes.

“Hey watch that thing.”

The soldiers only looked down at her from behind their masks. Their expressions were unreadable but the terrifying nature of the masks itself was enough to cow her. She spun around back towards the general and his lieutenant. “Please you must believe me, I am no liar. I was sent to the mountain temple when my father set aside my mother. A dragon awoke and killed all the priestesses. I barely managed to escape with my life!”

She looked to general Tsubaki, or at least she hoped it was him behind that disturbing mask. Please, Daiki. I was meant to be your wife. I was coming back to you. I still want to be your bride, if you will have me.” She peered up at him through her lashes and hoped the general had cared about her for more than her title.

He held up his hand and the soldiers stopped. “She will not be harmed. Bring her back to my tent,” he said in a ringing voice.

“Sir,” the lieutenant interjected.

“That is an order,” General Tsubaki growled.

He bowed to the general from the saddle and Suzume was shown much more respectably to the lieutenant’s horse. A soldier was deposed from his mount and forced to walk. The company turned and went down the road in the direction Suzume and Kaito had been headed before. They did not travel far before they came upon an encampment outside a small village. Hundreds of tents were scattered across the field, cook fire rose into the sky and soldiers walked from campsite to campsite carrying swords and armor.

The lieutenant grudgingly took her to a tent at the center of the camp. It was made of silk and had a slit in the front in which could be pulled back to allow people to walk in. The Lieutenant held open the flap and allowed her inside. There were bamboo mats covering the ground. To one side was a sleeping area with a plush sleeping roll that made her travel one look like a strip of fabric. In the center of the room was a low table with cushions arranged around it. This is the right way to travel.

“Wait here. The general will come to you when he is ready.” The lieutenant gave her a quick bow and stomped out of the tent.

Suzume just scowled after him. She sat down on the cushion nearest to her. She relished the touch of silk on the pillows. She admired the soft futon where the general slept and even found a small shrine off to one side with incense burning in it.

This is nearly a luxury after all the camping and swamp adventures.

Soft footsteps padded on the bamboo mats and Suzume craned her neck to see a servant in a long colorful robe carrying a tray with a kettle and a cup for tea. She kneeled down beside the table and poured the tea into the cup and the tendrils of steam wafted towards her bringing with it an earthy aroma. There were some pastries made of soft dough and filled with a red bean paste that Suzume had adored back at the palace. She bit into and the creamy slightly sweet taste filled her mouth.

It was several hours later and when the daylight was beginning to fade that General Tsubaki returned to his tent. He did not say a word but went to stand at the far end of the tent from her. She stood up to greet him but he would not face her nor speak.

“Thank you for saving me,” Suzume said to end the silence.

“This is not right. I should not be able to look upon your regal face,” General Tsubaki said. 

Suzume wanted to laugh. She could be vain, but she did not think she was much to look at the moment. Her hair was braided down her back. Though she was thankfully cleaner, her clothes were plain and in tatters. She wore none of her usual makeup that accentuated her best features, like her lips and eyes.

“I am no longer royalty,” She said in a small voice –that was not entirely play acting.

“You are to me, what you father did to you---“ he hesitated. “I advised him against it, but he swore I had been taken under by your charms.”

Suzume smiled to herself. That’s probably true. “You must believe I never gave up hope that you would come for me and that we could be together.”

He did turn around then. His face was flushed and his squashed nose was bright red. His hairline was receding and he was so thick around the middle that the silk of his shirt was stretched tight. He is not handsome like Kaito but he could give me a secure home a place back at court. Besides, Kaito abandoned me. I should count myself fortunate since he would kill me if he had half the chance.

“Princess—“ He stopped and twisted his hands in front of him not looking at her but looking at the bamboo mat beneath their feet.

Say something. She wanted to scream. Why will you not look at me, see me? Kaito saw me, all of me and he never cared. The general cannot even look upon me clothed without breaking into a sweat. Is it because he is a mortal?

Suzume turned her head away. She could not stand to look at the general any longer. She kept comparing him to Kaito’s broad shoulders, trim physique, his long hair and dark eyes. Why did he leave me? Was he that upset about the hot spring?

“Princess, if your father knew that I had you here, alone in my tent, he would have my head.”

“What does my father care for me? I was sent to the temple out of his sight forever,” Suzume said.

“He is an honorable man. He is the son of the gods; his judgment is divine.”

Suzume resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Her father was no more god than she.

“Then I am to be left here to die?” She looked up at the general. Sweat was rolling down to his jowls and pooling in his sideburns.

He fell to his knees beside Suzume and she could smell a sticky sweet scent coming from his breath that made her stomach churn.

“No, I would not allow it. Never. I will take care of you. I plan to have some men escort you back to my estate.”

She searched his face. He’s serious. He’s willing to risk my father’s wrath for me. “What, as your concubine?”

His eyes darted around looking anywhere but at her. “Well...I...”

Suzume held up her hand. “I may have been dishonored but I have not sunk that low, even for you, Daiki.”

“I meant no offense, that is to say...”

She strode away from him and crossed her arms over her chest.

“I think I would like to retire for the night. Do you have a suitable place where I may rest?”

He jumped up and swayed on his feet as he did so. “Please, use my tent. I will use my lieutenant’s.”

He did not move to leave but instead came closer to Suzume and took her hand in his chubby and sweaty one. A shiver of revulsion swept over her and she had to look away to avoid showing it on her face.

“Princess... No. Suzume, I want you to be my bride. I will send you to my estate and once I win this battle, I will go to your father and beg for him to allow us to marry.”

She looked up into his eyes. He squinted and his gaze was over-burned by his heavy eyelids which made him look like he struggled to see. His proposal was everything she had hoped for, it was what she had been plotting from the start and yet now that it was here... she didn’t want it.