Chapter Two

The dragon sat legs crossed, gazing down upon the shrine maidens. His posture was erect and regal and though it was hard to believe, he was even more magnificent in the robes that had been procured for him. The Head Priestess bowed low before him the tip of her nose brushed against the reed mats. The dragon regarded her and she blushed like a young virgin.

“I am thirsty, bring me rice wine,” he said.

The Head Priestess trembled like a leaf in the wind. “Yes, right away.” She turned her head just enough to order the young woman behind her to do his bidding. “You heard the lord dragon, get him some rice wine.”

The girls jumped up and tripped over their billowing robes in an attempt to hurry and do the dragon’s bidding.

Do they not care that he is a fake? Suzume thought, he is nothing but a charlatan and yet they fall over themselves to do his bidding. Despite Suzume’s thought on the matter, the others did not seem to care one way or another whether he was a god or a dragon. Though both gods and dragons were immortal, the thousands of benevolent gods were the ones that cared for the people. They brought the rain to make the crops grow. They were not all good. They also brought down the wrath of the natural elements when displeased. A dragon was an entirely mischievous creature that played tricks and was in essence selfish.

This dragon seemed no different. He kept her close at his side, like a pet lap dog. She had only been out of his sight long enough for him to dress –at the head priestess’ adamant behest—and now she sat beside him like the bride at a bizarre marital feast. In fact she had not even been given the time to change and she still wore the ceremonial white robes, though now they were dusty and her makeup was smeared.

The shrine maidens returned with the rice wine and handed the clay jar to the head priestess. She and her second bowed before the dais on which Suzume and the dragon sat. At least I am back in my proper place, Suzume thought. She disregarded the fact that her current elevation in status was in part based on a lie. She did not know how she broke the seal or how to help the dragon find the woman that had sealed him. However, she had to keep up the facade or else risk losing what little reputation she had left.  

“My Lord, we have brought you what you requested.” The High Priestess said, once more her face nearly buried in the reed mats on the ground in front of her. The High Priestess offered up the clay jar and the second presented a set of small cups.

“Ah, good.” He took the clay pot from the tray and disregarded the two small cups that the second had offered. He brought the jug to his lips and took a long draught of the rice wine. Suzume sat mesmerized by the bobbing of his throat as he drained the entire jug. He set the jar aside and then smacked his lips.

Suzume crinkled her nose, a charlatan and crude, delightful.

He leaned back and rested on his arm and regarded the two shrine maidens before him.

“Now tell me, when was this temple built?”

The High Priestess replied to the reed mats and did not move from her deep bow as she replied, “My lord, in the year one hundred and three of the sun king’s reign.”

He picked up the jug and swirled the contents which sloshed around inside. Suzume was not one for arithmetic but that had been roughly five hundred years.

“There is no need to grovel, Chiyoko. I may not be your god of the mountain but your songs eased my long slumber. Please rise and share my rice wine with me.” He held out his hand to her, beckoning her towards him with the crook of his finger.

The head priestess raised her head and tears brimmed on her lashes. “My lord, I am not worthy.” She placed her hands flat on the ground in front of her nearly flattening herself on the floor.