Chapter Eighty-Five: Seven Years Later

Start from the beginning

"I don't know..." Alexis answered. "I hope so."

"Why don't you just ask her," John said.

"You know what, I will," Chandria said, taking out her phone and texting Elizabeth.

To: Elizabeth Natividad

Hi Liz! How are you? I heard you're back home. Lex just arrived and we were wondering if you want to meet up? And will you be going to Beaufort's alumni ball tomorrow? Maybe we could all go together? We miss you lots!

Elizabeth's phone beeped and she saw the notification that Chandria texted her. She had just woken up and was in her bed. She had a headache and was hungover from a night of partying and drinking. She had forgotten about the alumni ball and was avoiding her friends. Not that she didn't want to see them, of course, but she just couldn't take seeing them happily together with their loved ones. She was happy for them but it just made her so terribly sad whenever she saw them because she felt how unfair life was. Elizabeth closed her eyes. She couldn't believe that just two years ago she was as happy as they were. But not anymore.

Not since Alvin died.

Elizabeth still remembered it like it happened just yesterday. All six of them were in Los Angeles that summer after they all graduated from college. They planned this road trip around California and were halfway through the trip. But one night, Elizabeth insisted that she and Alvin go and drive around the city when a drunk driver hit their car.

Elizabeth opened her eyes when she heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," Elizabeth groaned, sitting up.

The door opened and Elizabeth's mother, Mrs. Angelica Natividad, came in holding a tray of food in her hand, "Elizabeth dear, I brought you breakfast."

Mrs. Angelica smiled at her and then placed the food on the small table in Elizabeth's room. Elizabeth rolled her eyes. She wasn't exactly in good terms with her parents.

"What do you want, Ma?" Elizabeth asked.

"Can't I bring my daughter food?" Mrs. Angelica asked.

"You wouldn't unless you needed me for something," Elizabeth said. "So cut to the chase, Ma."

"It's nothing. I just arranged a date later for you that's all and I want you to go," Mrs. Angelica said.

"Ma! Can you please stop setting me up on dates?!" Elizabeth protested. "I don't want to go on dates! I am not going!"

"Oh please stop acting so melodramatic, Elizabeth. It's been two years and you are turning 25 this year! It's about time you start dating again!"

"Please leave. I want to be alone right now."

"If you keep acting like that you'll be alone for the rest of your life, dear," Mrs. Angelica warned. "I'm just concerned about you!"

"Ma, please! Besides, I can't go, Lex just got home and, uhh, I'm going out with the girls later."

Mrs. Angelica shook her head, "Just eat your breakfast, okay? You're getting a tad too thin."

Elizabeth took a deep breath to keep herself from talking back to her mother anymore. When Mrs. Angelica left, Elizabeth laid back on her bed again and placed a pillow on her head to muffle her scream.

On the other hand, John just pulled over to the Ford mansion's driveway. His parents were waiting for them there.

"Dad! Tita!" Alexis said as soon as she got down from the car.

"Alexis, hija!" Mrs. Devon greeted. Alexis took turns briefly hugging them.

"Alexis, how are you?" Mr. Paulo asked, smiling at her. "Where's Wolf?"