Chapter 28

Melinda couldn't remember how or why Hide suddenly made an appearance in her living room.

"I act like everything's okay, but I'm terrified. I'm scared and I don't know what to do."

At the boy's statement, Melinda became perplexed. "Why? What do you have to fear?"

"My best friend's life." Hide whispered. "When I was alive, I might have been able to protect him, but now that I'm dead, I can't touch anything. I can't speak to anyone. I won't be able to stop something from happening to him. I feel useless, guilty, and terrified."

Melinda didn't know what to say to the ghost. He was right. "Why are you telling me this?"

Hide didn't answer right away. "...I know you know about everything. I just feel like telling someone about this. Besides, Eli isn't a very good listener."

"Eli knows?" Her question was immediate.

"He had to. Kaneki hid Ned there after breaking him out."

Melinda found herself yawning. "Tired?" Hide asked.

Melinda shook her head, but her droopy eyes betrayed her.

At this, Hide chuckled softly. "Goodnight, Melinda."

And he was gone.

__________________________

"It's not fun and games anymore."

"Who said it was?" Hide asked.

"No one. I just think sometimes you take it like one." Kaneki answered.

"I'm offended." Hide replied mockingly before turning serious. "I guess I just try to stay positive."

"Positive?" The ghoul gives his dead companion a look. "If you want positive, it's the opposite direction of me."

Said dead boy just laughed. "Sure, Neki."

Kaneki's heart burned at the familiar nickname. A fondness that shouldn't be a privilege to him was evident in Hide's tone. Kaneki hated that the name warmed his heart.

Kaneki knew he didn't deserve it.

__________________________

"Ned, why aren't you at your dorm?" Delia asked her son. Ned had refused to leave the house.

"I have a bad feeling." Was Ned's only response.

Delia sighed, but decided to pay it no mind. "Fine. I'm going to bed."

As Delia made her way up the stairs, Ned's voice stopped her. "That's what they want."

Delia became worried. "Ned?"

Silence.

"Stay awake. They won't give up so easily."

"Who's 'they', Ned?" Delia asked cautiously.

Ned turned around to face his mother. His mouth was set into a frown, a worried gaze set upon her. "The monsters. They've decided we're easy prey. They're waiting for us to drop our guard. We have to stay awake."

"And what if they decide to attack anyway?" Delia feared her son's answer.

"The only thing we can do is run. Normal weapons won't do anything and the one thing that will do damage isn't in our possession."

Delia suddenly didn't seem very tired anymore.

__________________________

Kaneki hovered on the tree just above the bottom of the cliff.