Chapter 4

Chapter 4 - Murder And Abduction

Standing in my lawn, I looked at the sky, thinking about what happened today. I couldn't speak after that woman left. Emma sat near me, looking exhausted. "Honey, I think you should rest, take a break."

Her soft voice broke me from my trance.

"We could take some time off and start fresh."

"Hmm."

That was all I could say. I was old, tired and still angry. I was dripping with venom only my heart's core could intrepid.

Emma on the other hand looked like she had no concern with vengeance. She just has excepted it as a game of faith. But I am not one of those who will keep tossing around in the court of faith like a beach ball.

I will get my answers.

"Would you like to have a cup of tea Rick?" She brought me back to reality. My dear Emma, the only reason to my sanity. "I would love to if you make it." She blushed and made her way into the kitchen.

I had a sudden urge to smoke. It was not usual for me but stress always dragged back the bad habit. I was wrapped in a blanket of questions and puzzles.

It was much peaceful here in the gardens, where the silence doesn't haunts me, where I don't feel like it is my fault.

Emma came later with two steaming cups in a tray with a frown on her face. She silently placed the cups on the table and placed a soft hand on my shoulder. "Rick, you said you left smoking."

I took a long inhale before saying, "Old habits die hard." She shrugged like she didn't care but I saw hurt in her eyes, I quickly disposed the source of my wife's disappointment.

We sat on the lawn chairs, sipping the tea Emma brought. Emma looked uncomfortable. I knew she had something to saw.

"Go ahead Emma. What is it?" She looked down at her feet, suddenly uncomfortable again. Then lifted her chin up, her almond eyes filled with tears.

"I miss her." She looked at me. "I miss her too." Then there was a silence. A silence Emma knew she was not supposed to break. Silence, that I needed to keep my sanity intact.

"Why blondes? Why only girls? Why only blondes with blue eyes?" She couldn't keep an eye contact.

I just kept quiet and finished my tea. The evening breeze was starting to flirt with Emma's shoulder length blonde hair.

"Remember the time we went to Japan? That crazy guide who told us to summon the goddess​ of digital era to fix your phone?" She gave a big smile. "I miss it all."

I gave her a soft smile. "Me too dear, me too." And as soon as the words left my lips, I began to remember the time we had, the time when we were happy.

The silence soon took in again, leaving us empty. "Well, I better move on, got to catch upon this case too you know." With a smile, I left her alone. I knew she needed it.

* * *

I walked swiftly to my study to examine all of the cases. Their pictures were all piled up in front of me, their pretty faces glowing with happiness but I felt as the all were pointing their fingers at me. As it was all my fault.

"The police is the waste of time." I fumed, talking to myself. It was one of my nasty habits. "Suspects, all checked and analysed for past 10 years. "

There has been no mishap like this in other state so far. Killing toll, 13 girls ranging from age 15 to 35." My marker worked swiftly as I noted down the facts on the board.

The files were all covered around me, murder, abduction, murder, abduction, murder, abduction, murder, abduction, murder, abduction, murder, abduction, murder, abduc..

"Sir there is someone here to meet you." The maid said with a tremble in her voice as she knew the better to disturb me. "Mrs. Fredrickson sent me." She quickly added.

Strange. I was never disturbed this way. I placed the marker on the table and left the study, it's contents still untouched.

As soon as I was near and near to the common room, the more voices I heard, mainly of Emma and a man. "That is so fantastic! So, what does your father do?" - "Well, he is a doctor, and my mum-"

It was Chase Stride, the boy I saw a few days ago. He looked so tired and lost.

"Ah, so you found your way to our house, eh?" The brunette looked at me and his eyes softened, but something yelled deep inside that soul. "Well, yes. I had nothing much to do." Emma smiled and looked at me, "Oh, Rick! Where are our manners? I was so overwhelmed by the new boy, I forgot the refreshments! Why don't you sit together while I make something!"

Chase tried to open his mouth, but closed when he saw Emma rushing away like a hurricane.

My eyes meet his and his eyes softened, like a tiger after hours of fighting collapsed. "So, we never formally talked about...er... things. So, what's going on your life, young man? What do you do for a living?"

He broke the eye contact and started twisting his hands. "Well, um, I am actually a doctor. A doctor and a member of the Scotland Yard." The name clicked like lightening and some hope rose.

"The Scotland Yard?" I questioned him with a high pitched voice. "Yeah...well I was at Scotland Yard at first but some things happened and I went to L.A. So, yeah... I am."

His explanation was full of secrets and pain but I chose to leave it untouched as it was none of my business.

"That is an interesting record, my boy. I like men with responsibility. Very nice. So, Los Angeles? Who was there. I mean, did you lived alone?" He again played with his hands, unable to look at my direction.

"No, I lived with my doctor. She said I needed a person to be in contact with world outside my job."

"A girlfriend?"

"Oh, God no! She is my sister. Colleen. She is an amazing person." Embarrassed by my outspoken sentence, I let the words sink in.

He has links with Scott Land Yard. He can really help us.

"Oh, Chase. How would you like your tea? Milk or cream? Sweet or plain. Or perhaps you like green tea?" Emma stammered in with her list and broke the ice like a professional. Chase smiled and told her what he wanted as she started mixing up.

I looked at the boy as he chatted away with Emma and would not a few times but my mind was somewhere far away, gazing into the expected future.

Until shit hit the fan.

☀❄☀❄☀❄☀

A/N: EEEEEE! LOVE IT!

VOTE COMMENT &SHARE!