Chasing Scarlet: Chapter Seven

Scarlet laid curled up in my lap happily, her eyelids threatening to close and to let her slip into a peaceful sleep. She looked so happy and calm, not stressed or scared at all. She woke up though. "Calix, if you keep this up, I'll fall asleep before I'm suppose to!" she complained. I chuckled at her as I watched her stretch from my lap, pulling her arms from her sides and raising them up in the air.

"Can I sleep with you if I rub your back?" I asked and smiled wide.

"No! You cannot sleep with me!" She looked at me horrified and she jumped from my lap to stand with her hands on her hips. I laughed at her without knowing why. "But maybe if I'm ever traveling and my back is sore," she smiled evilly at me and I gulped, not wanting to imagine the kind of things she could make me do. "I know who can rub my back for hours to make it better." I gasped, it wasn't as bad as I thought it could be. I laughed as I thought of my answer. She would love it.

"Sure, as long as you're naked!" She turned on her heels and walked away, furious with me for saying such a thing. I kicked myself for saying that rude comment and followed her through the crowd to the stage where she plucked the violin from her sister's fingers and began to play an interesting song, gathering everyone around the stage to listen. She played furiously, then soft, and with a passion I didn't know she had. Everyone clapped for her when she finished and she blushed.

"Thanks," she mumbled as she gave her sister back the precious violin and climbed off the stage of haybales. She speed walked over to a table with all the celebration foods displayed on it, and plucked up a frosted cookie with the moon on it, Hallue's stars in line with the big pale moon. I stood behind her, not sure what to do. Should I apologize now or wait until she's calmed down a bit?

Charles came through the crowd and up from behind Scarlet. "Hey, Autumn! That was a beautiful song you just played." I wanted to comment her too but I was frozen in place. Charles placed his hand on the small of her back and led her towards a clear place on the dance floor and they started dancing. I should've known it would only be a short time before Charles started dancing with Scarlet again. They seemed to really enjoy themselves when they were on the dance floor, surrounded by other dancers and couples. Only, were they a couple? Or just friends dancing and having a good time? Charles seemed to really like Scarlet, but Scarlet was a locked chest, not letting anyone into her heart. No one fully understood her, not even her close sister and Andra seemed frustrated by the fact that her older sister was cut off from the world. Scarlet was fine though, strong and willing to do any thing for you. But maybe that's because she learned the hard way to do what you are ordered. I heard awful stories about their mother, Magnolia Spits.

I looked out a nearby window, seeing the sky lighten slightly to a dark shade of grim gray. The sun was almost upon us and the celebrations almost over. Another year's celebrations without my parents finding me. Walking over to the window, I watched the trees sway in the wind, some of their red, orange and gold leaves flittering to the frost covered ground, others holding on tightly to the branches. A dark clad figure slipped from the shadows and crossed the courtyard to the barn. Reaching the doors, they pulled them open and a gust of wind blew through the crowd, stilling the dancers and silencing the music.

The figure pulled back their black hood to have black hair fall over the frail shoulders and show a shocked pretty and pale face. A glittering crown sat on her head and everyone gasped at the same time as they realized who it was. She shook herself and her cheeks blushed red with anger.

"What are you doing?" she shrieked at us. I melted into the shadows, afraid of her biting tongue.

A drunk Lord Bently stumbled forward and wrapped an arm around my mother's shoulders. "Why we're having a good time," he slurred. His flask of beer traveled to his lips and he swallowed the liquid in a loud gulp. Mother shook off Travis and stepped aside.