“Silence. I know that’s not good.” he flies in front of me cutting me off. His jet-black bangs covered his left blue eye. His other one was staring at me. “What happened?”

    I look up at his eyes. I saw kindness, curiosity, concern, and a little sparkle of his teasing personality.

“It’s nothing Markus. Really; I’m fine.”

       He gives me a knowing look; “I know you better than that, Razi.” he said but didn’t push me. This was good because I didn’t feel like bringing it up again.

    “I’m tired,” I mumble as we both hear yelling. Someone barges out of my apartment with something in his hand. I see sandy-brown hair. Mark. That’s it; I’m going to kill him. Plain and simple. Along with Idiot #1 was the rest of his crackhead gang. They held bats and bags of my stuff. They were trashing my place!

    “HEY!” my voice echoed off the rocks, causing them to shake a bit. I dive toward my place. Markus followed closely behind, although he was not as fast as me. Mark looks up and locks eyes with me. He saw the fire in them from over a mile away. “OH SH*T!!” he yells. His groupies hear him and fly off in all directions, leaving the ass by himself. Obviously he recognizes me because after his shout he didn’t hesitate to take off. Markus shoots past me after him. I however barge into my apartment to see the damage. My door, for one, had been ripped off its hinges. The sheets of my bed were shredded. The lamp had been broken against the floor. Someone had punched the wall. Glass was littered everywhere. Quickly I checked the cabinet under the sink in my bathroom. I pulled out an empty plastic bag from the scattered and turned over shampoo and conditioner bottles. “God dammit!” I throw the bag on the ground. The thieves got what they came for, and now I was broke. I let out a strangled sob. Where was the picture? I had to at least have the picture. If they stole that too they would be dead the next time I saw them. I spot the edge of the frame under my bed. I carefully pulled it out and saw my parents smiling up at me. The picture was bent and ripped on the top right corner, but other than that the picture was intact.

   I ran outside with that picture in my hand. I sat on the step and without my consent; a tear sprung up and slid down my cheek. I had nowhere else to go now. My apartment was trashed, and who knows what chemicals those idiots dumped everywhere. I couldn’t live in it now. I cover my head with my arms. By now I let those tears fall even though I had sworn that I would never cry again. I had been six at the time and I had been able to keep that promise. That is, until now.

    I hear wind coming closer to me but I don’t mind it. That is, until I heard, “Razi?”

I look up toward the voice. Markus’s face became concerned. He took one look at the apartment and then said to me in a low voice, “Come with me. You’re staying at my place tonight, okay?”

   I could only nod and stand up. He takes off and I follow quietly. His apartment wasn’t far; we only had to fly a couple of stories. He unlocked the door and coaxed me inside.

   “Here,” he hands me his phone. “I’ll go get us a drink, yeah? You call whoever you want. I’ll be right back.” he walks into the kitchen. Two minutes later, he comes back out with two glasses half full of wine. I was still staring at the phone, tears again threatening to spring up.

    “Why aren’t you calling?” he asks softly.

“I don’t have anyone,” I whisper.

      “No one? Aunts, Uncles, Nephews?”

There was no way in hell that my only cousin was going to help me; he had problems of his own. “No one,” my voice sounded close to breaking.

    “Oh. I guess you’re not calling, are you?” he said quietly. I let out another sob and he immediately tries to hush me, “Please, Razi, it’ll be alright. I promise. Just please, please, stop crying,” he says. I don’t think he’s ever seen me cry before. Or any girl, for that matter.

   I nod and will myself to stop. “Just one night. I’ll leave tomorrow, I promise.”

“No, it’s okay.” Markus takes the phone and puts it back. “Stay as long as you want. Here,” he spreads out a blanket and hands me a pillow. “How about you get some sleep, okay?”

    I nod again and climb onto the couch. He walks into what I assumed was the bedroom and shuts the door, “Goodnight.”

   I close my eyes tightly, as if I could make the problem vanish as if it’s never happened.

They can love you. And someone will. My cousin’s voice rings through my ears.

__________________________________________________________

Comment please! :D