Chapter 1

August 1st  

Justice

I hit my alarm clock and rolled out of bed, already dreading this day. I sat on the side of my bed and looked at the calender hanging on my wall. Today was August 1st, my birthday and also the day that I had to get out of Dominic and his wife, Darlene's house.

I walked through my room, kicking over boxes of my things that were already packed up for my departure. I closed the door of my room and walked down the spiral staircase. "Good morning, Miss. Justice," The maid, Sophia said to me as I made it down the steps.

"Good morning," I walked around her and went straight into the kitchen as she followed behind me.

"Your breakfast on the stove. Oh I almost forgot it was your birthday," She told me.

"Thank you Sophia."

I grabbed my breakfast and went downstairs to Dominic's office, where I already knew he was at. Since I was the last of his 'daughter's' to leave he was always up bright and early, already handling his business.

"Hey," I mouthed sitting down on the chair in front of his desk. He gave me a slight smile as he continued bartering with the person on the other side of the phone.

"Don't do this shit Effrin. I gave you specific orders last night," He yelled.

I looked at Dominic, surprised that he was yelling at Effrin. He happened to be one of Dominic's best and most trust worthy guys, that worked for him. He never had to raise his voice at Darnell like the other guys. 

Dominic looked up at me, "Look I have company. Be over here in 15."

He sighed and hung up the phone, looking up at me. "Happy birthday, princess. What do you have planned today?" He asked.

"Carminia and I are going out tonight," I shrugged. I didn't have much planned today since I knew I had to get out. I planned on spending most of my day packing the last of my things up and then tonight I'll go out and celebrate.

"Alright. I know how you and Nia (Carminia) get when you get together, don't do anything ridiculous," He replied.

I smiled, "I promise we won't"

"Just don't get into any trouble. I know it's your birthday but I really don't want the two of you going out."

"Why?" I asked.

He sighed and shook his head, not bothering to explain to me what he really wanted to say. "Never mind, just be careful for me tonight, please. I'll just have Effrin come with the two of you tonight."

"Dominic!" I yelled.

"No. It's final. I don't want nor do I need the two of you hanging out on the streets at all hours of the night. You know these niggas will do anything to fuck with me, even if that means getting to my family. I don't want to be up all night worrying about the two of you and with Effrin there I know you two won't get into any trouble. It's just for the night, Jus," He said getting out of his seat.

I sighed. "Alright" I stood up and started for the door but he stopped me. "Did you find a place yet?" He asked.

"No, I'm still working on that."

"Well times a-ticking, you know today was moving day, right?"

I nodded my head, yes. "Yeah. Look, don't worry Dom. I have everything under control," I replied walking upstairs. 

I hated lying to Dominic about stuff like that but what was I supposed to do? I know he'll give me the money to find somewhere to live, and get out of New Orleans, but I want to do stuff on my own. Dominic and Darlene have provided for me since Dominic found me out on the streets and I can't keep living off of them.

It's taking an awfully long time to find a place to live, and to honestly let go of this place, Dominic and his family, but as long as I do it on my own and legally Dominic will be fine with it. I've made drops for Dominic before, nothing major, but when I really started to show an interest in the game he made it clear that he wanted none of his daughters, including me, involved in that.

I put my plate in the sink and walked upstairs to my packed up room to find something to wear for tonight. I wonder what's going on with Dominic. For the past few days he's been on edge, always expecting the worst, not letting anybody out of the house without protection and definitely not letting anybody come over.

He tried to play it off like he's cool on the outside but I can clearly see that he's been paranoid, like something's going on. Besides the few drops I've made for Dominic, he never let any of us get involved in what's going on in the streets of New Orleans.

Dominic always says the streets of NOLA make it seem like you're coming up but then they'll bring you back down, within the blink of an eye. He never wanted any of his daughters to grow up like him and he constantly engraved that into our minds.

--

I quickly ran outside of the house, tossing my jacket (External Link) behind the bushes, as I made my way to Nia's car. Dominic would kill me if he saw what I was wearing tonight, so I decided to just sneak out before he could see my outfit.

I walked up to the front of her car and pulled on the passenger door but it was locked. I knocked on the blacked out window, trying to get her to open it, but it rolled down and I saw Effrin. (On the side)

"What the hell are you wearing? We aren't going anywhere until you change. You've got most of your body hanging out. Get back in that house," He pointed to the house.

I rolled my eyes. "Look, it's my birthday."

"I don't give a damn. You're not going anywhere with me dressed like that," He replied.

I smacked my lips and climbed into the back of Nia's car but Effrin turned back around. "I told you to go back in the house," He said.

"I don't give a damn. C'mon Nia just go to the club."

"Alright. Happy birthday girl," She replied.

"Thanks Nia."

She backed out of the driveway and drove along the dangerous streets of New Orleans, occasionally seeing fights, people getting arrested and the usual things we'd see driving around, which didn't seem to phase us anymore.

"Look, don't show y'alls asses when we go inside the club," Effrin said as Nia parked outside of the club. 

Nia and I laughed, knowing that it would be able to get to Effrin. Dominic was paranoid, but it seemed like Effrin was even more paranoid than Dominic happened to be. We all got out of the car and walked to the front of the club, Nia meeting up with her boyfriend on the way.

After waiting in line for what seemed like forever the bouncer finally let us in. "I'll be back. I'm gonna go dance," Nia said as her boyfriend pulled her away from us. "What about my birthday?"

"We'll be back in time to toast!" She yelled over the music.

I sighed and made my way upstairs to the VIP area, with Effrin following behind me. I collapsed on the couch next to Effrin and looked over at him. "Must you follow me everywhere I go?" I asked him.

"Yes, Dominic's orders," He replied glancing over the balcony, most likely watch Nia.

"Are you like his own personal slut monkey? Do you do everything he says like some kind of little bitch?"

He looked over at me, "You know what, fuck you Justice!"

"Fuck you too!" I yelled to him as he walked back downstairs.

--

Comment. Vote. Add to your reading lists.

The cast is in the video on the side.