29: Until I Met You

Start from the beginning

My mom turned her neck slightly to send me a smile before focusing back on the pancakes she was flipping. “Good morning.” she replied, “Did you sleep well?”

“Not really,” I said honestly, taking a seat at the table. “But, my shower woke me up so, it doesn’t really matter now.”

My mom nodded in acceptance as she turned the stove off and stacked the final two pancakes onto the already-full plate beside her. “And does this lack of sleep have anything to do with Cason?” she asked teasingly, turning around with a smirk on her face as she set the plate of pancakes on the table.

Contrary to my belief, the night I came home from my date with Cason my mom wasn’t actually asleep. Apparently she had been taking a late night shower and, in my dazed and happy state, I didn’t register the sound of water running. When I woke up the next morning, after talking to Olivia, I went down for breakfast when I was bombarded with questions from my mom. I ended up telling her almost the exact same thing I told Olivia, minus the kiss at the end of the date.

To say that my mom was happy for me was an understatement. She was so glad that I had found someone I cared about like Cason and, since Cason already had her approval, she was just that much more ecstatic.

The only thing that I didn’t like now though was the fact that every time that Cason would show up or call me, she’d get a knowing grin on her face that wouldn’t go away. I know most teenagers might have to deal with that look but, for me it was just plain awkward.

Although I tried to look annoyed as I looked at my mom in reply, I couldn’t help the small smile that shone on my face when she mentioned Cason. “Maybe.” I responded, even though she already knew it did without me having to tell her.

“So,” my mom started, changing the direction of our conversation as she sat down across from me. “Are you excited to go back to school?”

“Mmmm, kind of.” I replied honestly. “It’s cool that I’ll get to see Evan, Olivia and Cason everyday but, I was basically doing that over the holidays so, it’s not gonna be any different. I don’t mind my teachers but, I know that with exams coming up in a little less than a month they’re going to start piling on work and, it’s gonna suck.” I reasoned in between bites of breakfast.

“Oh and this whole waking up early again thing, I’m not a fan.” I added, cutting a piece off my last pancake before bringing it to my mouth.

My mom snorted a laugh at my response, which in turn made me giggle slightly. “You’re just gonna have to get used to it again honey.”

Not bothering with a response, I went to work on finishing my pancakes. Just before my plate was completely clean, the doorbell rang and, even though I wasn’t exactly expecting anybody, I had an inkling on who it might be.

“I’ll get it.” I stated, getting up from my chair quickly to race to the door.

A couple of seconds later, my thoughts were proved correct as I pulled the door open to reveal Cason standing there looking as handsome as ever. I stood stock still for a couple of seconds because, in addition to his normal pair of jean shorts, Cason was wearing a striped tank top that showed off his muscles. Don’t get me wrong, he wasn’t the type of guy with defined, body-builder type arms but, he did have the equivalent of a high school football players muscles.