Over Again [One Shot]

--

Cliché; Romance

Once upon a time, there’s a girl named Kylie Samson. Kylie was always happy and she’s loquacious. Kylie met a boy named Jasper when they were 5 years old. She was happy to meet him because he’s like the male version of Kylie. He talks a lot and he’s utterly weird like her. They grew together and they memorize each other’s respiration and they knew every line and they can almost finish each other’s sentences.

So she asked, “Jasper, what if we would be separated?” He put his toy car on the floor and he answered, “Who said we would be separated?” She smiled and took another sip from her tea and looked at the colourful sky awaiting her.

They grew and when they reached 13, they became even closer. She likes him since and it’s no obvious that he likes her, too. Everyone teases them – even their parents. They root for their love team and they can’t deny that their children really look good together. Kylie has a passion for cooking and in the age of 13, she is already running a business of cupcakes and she has this cupcake named after Jasper. Cupcake Jasper – it’s made of blueberry filling and with luscious cheese on top. Together, they would sell the cakes to their relatives.

Then Kylie turned sweet 16 and she had a debut at their mansion and of course, Jasper was her escort. But on that single day, Jasper missed it because of his girlfriend. Yes, Jasper did have a girlfriend and Kylie couldn’t deny that she’s sad about it. His girlfriend was jealous of Kylie and she planned it all along. She said she’s sick and she wants Jasper by her side. Of course, Jasper did take care of his girlfriend first. Kylie was mad and disappointed at her own childhood friend. “It’s over, isn’t it?” she asked her mother and Mrs. Samson nodded sadly.

On the next day, Jasper went to Kylie’s house and saw her baking cupcakes. He hugged her from her back that made her jump a little and toss some blueberries in the counter. Jasper wiped the blueberries and transferred them into Kylie’s crumpled face. “What now?” she said before realizing that they’re still hugging each other. She immediately escaped and composed herself.

She inhaled and exhaled once more. “What are you doing here, Mr. Smith?” she asked with her arms in her hips. He smiled and got the flowers that he placed in the kitchen table. “I’m sorry,” he said. She looked at his eyes and she saw sincerity so like cheese, her heart immediately melted. So she embraced her best friend and put some cheese on his face as they scream once more because of joy.

The next week, Kylie was invited by Jasper’s mother on a family dinner. This isn’t extraordinary since they consider each other families – that’s how close they were. So, with a delicious box of red velvet cupcakes, she went to the Smith’s residence and there she saw Jasper with his girlfriend, Shania. She’s jealous, again and she found her jaws clenching as soon as she gave the cupcakes to the maids.

“Hey, Kylie,” said Shania while her arm anchor into Jasper’s. “Good evening, Shania,” Kylie replied with a sly smile and looked at Jasper’s face. She felt her tummy’s back flipping once more and so he pulled Jasper away without asking for permission to the legal girlfriend. They felt sparks but who knew that this was the start?

“What?” he asked then smirked as they reached the mansion’s balcony. Maids were there but immediately exited upon seeing them. She hugged Jasper and said, “I don’t know but I think I like you,” she admitted but immediately regretted it. She was a girl, after all. How unlikely it is for a girl to pull a boy from his girlfriend and hug him without malice?

“I-I like you too,” he said. They both felt confused. Of course, Jasper likes Shania, too but what else? Does he like Kylie too? “I’m sorry…” she said and looked at the starless sky. He used his hand to tilt her head and their eyes met. “I’m sorry, too. I know the feeling’s mutual but I guess we can’t…” he said and looked away. She ran away and wiped her tears away. That was it. She was wrong and she knew it.