Imagine #11 - A Wedding Interruption

-I'm sorry but I won't be coming to your wedding, Z x-

Opening Zac's text, your mouth fell open. He was your best friend, what possible reason could he have for not coming to your special day? You were fuming. He'd been acting strange since you told him you were getting married but you put it down to his recent breakup. You had been worried about telling him as you didn't want to rub your happiness in his face.

-What?!?!?!-

You responded, angry fingers tapping furiously at your phone. Tapping your feet and your nails on the table you were sat at, you watched your phone waiting for a reply. It never came.

-Well? Don't I even get to know why?!-

You text him again, after 15 minutes, you weren't fussed about double texting. You waited for another 10 minutes and he still didn't respond. So you called him. He ignored that too and let it go to voicemail.

"How dare you drop that bombshell on me without even an explanation? I know this is a hard time for you but this is my wedding day! And I want everyone I care about and love there and that includes you! Stop being a dick and text me back or answer my calls!" you practically shouted down the phone, leaving an angry message. Laying the phone in front of you, you continued to watch it for any sign of response.

20 more minutes passed by and your phone finally lit up with a text. Snatching it up you opened the message, only to become angrier.

-I just can't. I'm sorry.-

Your breath hitched in your throat as you struggled to contain your fury. How could he just do that? It was like overnight he had completely changed. Your happy little wedding bubble had already been popped and you'd only been engaged for about 72 hours. You tried to call him again. And again. And again. But he continued to reject your calls, not even allowing them to go to voicemail anymore.

Zac's silence continued for days, then weeks and then months. He never once answered your calls or texts and didn't answer the door when you went round even though you knew he was home. He even went as far as changing the locks so your spare key didn't work. You just couldn't figure out why he was behaving like this. Throwing yourself into your wedding preparations, you tried to forget about the Zac-shaped hole that would be missing from your wedding. Only having six months to plan an entire wedding meant you had a lot on your plate but you still called him every day just to see if he would answer though he never did so, eventually, you just gave up.

While your fiancé, James, was potentially the most perfect man on the planet, he didn't quite understand why you were so down about Zac disappearance from your life. As far as he was concerned, you had your female best friends and that should be enough. He got a little annoyed with your moping, questioning why you cared so much, even going as far as accuse you of having feelings for Zac. That accusation was frankly ridiculous. You wouldn't admit it to anyone but you did have feelings for Zac once, but that was a long long time ago. You had pushed those feelings down and got over them as Zac had a girlfriend. And then you met James and you moved on so those feelings never bothered you again.

Soon enough your wedding day came around and even though you were happier than you've ever been, you still had a niggling sadness in the back of your mind. You decided to call him one last time, turning off caller ID to trick him into answering. Zac fell for it and answered.

"Hello," he said.

"Zac!" you exclaimed. "I don't know what's happened between us or why we stopped talking but I want you back in my life. I've missed you so much and I don't even care that you don't want to come today but I can't deal with you not being in my life anymore. Please, can we meet up for coff-."

The hang-up tone sounded telling you that Zac had hung up the phone. As hard as you tried to fight them, tears leaked out of your eyes and poured down your cheeks. Luckily your makeup hadn't been done yet. Wiping the tears away quickly, you slammed your phone down on the dressing table.

"No. I refuse to be upset by him. How can he do that to me on my wedding day after I said all that? He's clearly not the person I thought he was and he does NOT deserve my tears. I am done," you told yourself firmly. Even though what Zac did hurt you, you felt as though this was closure. As though you could finally move on. You could now enjoy your wedding day.

Your hair and makeup team got you all dolled up and you slipped into your dress. It was a simple A-line dress with light beading around the middle of the shiny fabric and a sweetheart neckline. When you turned around, your four bridesmaids and your parents burst into tears, even your dad.

                                                                                            -x-

Their reaction, however, was nothing compared to James'. His face lit up when he saw you and he began to cry. You'd never seen him cry, ever. He wasn't the emotional type. The vicar said everything he had to say, although neither of you were really listening, you couldn't stop looking at each other.

"I, James Smith take you, (y/n)
to be my wife,
to have and to hold
from this day forward;
for better, for worse-,"

The church door burst open, cutting James off from his vows and everyone turned to look who was ruining the moment. It was Zac.

"Am I too late?!" he shouted, feet slapping on the hard concrete as he ran down the aisle. Everyone looked stunned. He stopped halfway down the aisle, breathing heavy, eyes darting between you, James and the vicar. "Am I too late to object?" A gasp echoed around the church and whispering began. Neither you nor James moved, both frozen in shock.

"(y/n), you can't marry James," Zac said, breaking the silence.

"And why's that?" you retorted, stepping towards him.

"Because I'm in love with you," he said, quietly after much hesitation. The whispering started up again.

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" you screeched. "This is why you refused to come today and ignored me for fucking months?!" You got closer to him with each word and he shrank back, intimidated.

"I didn't want to spoil your happiness but it hurt too much to hang around and watch it unfold," he replied meekly.

"You didn't want to spoil my happiness....yet here you are interrupting what is supposed to be the happiest day of my life?" you shouted back at him. James tried to pull you back, obviously worried you were going to hit him, but you brushed his hands off irritated at his interference.

"I knew I would regret not telling you, to see what your reaction would be."

"So why on Earth would you not tell me this morning when I rang you?!" You and Zac were face to face now, inches apart. James was hovering on the sidelines, not sure what to do or how to handle your explosive reaction.

"I wanted to do it in person. I didn't want to ruin this, I tried to come beforehand but I didn't know the time. I'm sorry, but I've loved you for as long as I can remember. That's why me and Sami broke up," Zac said, apologetically. All your anger and hurt and emotion from the past 6 months rushed to a head and for some reason, you kissed him. You kissed him with more passion than you had ever felt in your life, certainly more than you had ever felt with James, and he kissed you back matching your fierceness. Every emotion you had both felt over the 3 years you had been friends, was forcing itself to be felt all at the same time. A cough from the vicar brought you both to your senses and you turned to look at James and all your wedding guests. Everyone had the same horrified expression and you could hear your mother crying softly. James' face was stiff, holding off all emotion he had like he always did. Tears welled up in your eyes as you realised what you had done and how many people you had hurt all at the same time.

"I'm so sorry," you choked out, forcing your way past Zac and headed for the door, heels clicking along the church floor, leaving a wave of destruction behind you.

Read more of my work: https://www.wattpad.com/user/thefemaleauthor1

Support me: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/theauthoronline