chapter 2

'Wake up!'

His ear twitched, his brow furrowed. He heard giggling.

'Shadow! Come on, you've got to get up now!'

He groaned, one eye slowly opening. A figure loomed above, bright expectant eyes looking back at him.

'Wake up sleepy-head!'

"Who..." he stops. His eyes squint, adjusting to the light. The room was getting blindingly light.

'It's me, silly! Its-'

The other's voice was drowned out by a deafening buzzing, the light soon engulfing their figure. His ears began to ring, and what sounded like a light-bulb exploding brought him back into reality.

---

His eyes shot open, and he bolted upright. "Oh, don't move you're gonna-"

Shadow felt a jolt of electricity wrack his body, falling backwards. A large hand caught him, and he looks up to be greeted by vibrant purple eyes, holding a worried stare in them. A patient smile formed on the other's lips, and Shadow felt that familiar warmth creep up on him again.

He heard a tired sigh. "You busted another bolt. Stay there and don't move! I'm gonna get my tools again." His eyes switched over to his side to see a young fox kit glaring at him before huffing and turning to the door behind him.

Another shock rattled through him, and two hands came to steady his body, placed firmly on either shoulder.

An awkward silence filled the air soon-after. Knuckles' hands still lay on Shadow, holding him in place. Shadow began to squirm under his touch, and tried wriggling out of his grip. "Oh! Sorry!" He removed his hands, leaving them limp at his sides.

The two exchanged silent and quick glances. Knuckles raises his right arm to rub the back of his neck. Shyly looking towards the other, he spoke softly, "Do you feel okay?"

Shadow's face twisted into an expression Knuckles couldn't really identify. "Do I look okay?"

Knuckles sheepishly glanced away, muttering an apology.

Shadow sighed. "I'm sorry." he said quietly. "I don't mean to be harsh. I'm just...I'm just tired. I'm worn out." he admitted.

Knuckles gave him a small worried smile. "It's okay. You're safe now!"

Shadow pinched his brows together and glanced away. A heavy silence fills the room. Shadow's throat felt tight, as if the silence was hellbent on choking him. He breathed in through his nose, steadying himself. "I..."

The other looked down at him, prompting him to continue.

He purses his lips, and speaks again. "I...I don't understand."

Knuckles brow cocked in confusion. "What?"

"This. Why you're doing this. I don't understand." he meets the others gaze.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't deserve this. I don't...I didn't do anything to deserve..." he pauses, averting his eyes once more, training them on his right hand. "To deserve...Acts of kindness."

Knuckles stayed silent.

"I just don't understand." Shadow finished.

The echidna gave a bright smile. "You don't have to!" This only proved to further confuse the ebony hedgehog. "I just...I dunno. I like you!"

"Why?"

"I don't know! I just do."

Shadow didn't know how to respond to that. To being liked. He let the conversation drop there.

More silence. Deafening silence. Knuckles shifted uncomfortably and spoke softly, shyly, "So..Um...What're you gonna do...When uh, Tails gives you the okay?"

This caught Shadow off-guard. "Why do you ask?"

Knuckles paused. "I uh...I...I kinda like havin' you around."

Shadow blinked. "I suppose...I suppose I really don't know."

The other lit up, gesturing excitedly. "You should stay with us!"

He stared, stunned. He didn't think the other could be serious. Shadow was supposed to be the enemy. How pathetic would it be for him to befriend his foes? He glanced back up at Knuckles, seeing bright, expectant eyes looking right back at him.

'I can't believe I let myself get into this mess.' he thought. "Wouldn't the others be upset?"

"Pft, nah, they'll warm up to ya."

"..I...I suppose." Shadow didn't think Knuckles could smile any brighter, yet he proved him wrong once again. "But, I'd like...I'd like to stick by you, if at all possible." He registered surprise on the other's face. "I just...I don't really think the others are...Tolerant of me." he glanced away again.

"O-of course you can stay with me! I just uh, don't really have a house." he chuckled nervously. "I've uh, never really liked being in one place! I got a hammock though! And some trees. And its like right next to the beach!"

Shadow snorts, giving a small smile. He sees Knuckles blush and look away. "That sounds fine. I'm sure it's lovely." he says reassuringly. This earns another smile from the echidna.