Chapter One

Chapter One

*Temperance*

As I walked through the sunlit forest, I fingered the leaves of the elegant, towering trees and the loose, colorful leaves of the bushes. The sun shone high in the sky and casted beams of yellow-white light that pooled in groups on the green and brown forest floor. A small, cool breeze tugged at my red-brown colored dress and cords of my dark brown corset and my silver chained ankle bracelet. It gently whipped at my ebony black hair, sending long locks to brush against my pale white skin and my rose red lips. Butterflies fluttered lightly around me and small birds chirped softly in the trees. In the distance, I could hear the running of water from a small stream. I elegantly threw back my head, letting my long, black hair fall from my shoulders and run down the legth of my back. I gazed up at the clear light blue sky and watched a few birds silently fly across it. My own light blue eyes shone like a shimmering lake. This moment was perfect. Nothing could change that. Except...

"Temperance! Wake up!"

My eyes flung open. I was lying on the hard, rock ground inside a cold, damp cave mouth. I blinked a couple of times and slowly sat up, stretching my arms high above my head and spreading my fingers wide apart. I looked at my father shaking the rest of the group awake. We were gypsies that lived in the forest, which was away from all the loud noises from the large town and the tall, stone castle. We never stayed in one place, for we all had knowledge of the queen disliking wild people living in wild places. And those wild people were us. The queen hated us so much that she ordered her guards and soldiers to kill any of us on sight. I did not understand this because we did not do anything wrong. Father told me stories that the king was a nice person and he was married to another lady before the queen that lives today. The old queen was very beautiful and very kind and sweet. She was always sewing something for other people especailly if they were sick.

But although the old queen was very kind, she was despondent. She longed for a daughter. Father had told me that one day, the old queen had found out that she was with child. And nine months later, she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. Unfortunately, the old queen died of childbirth. The king remarried to an even more beautiful lady, but she was wicked and proud. the town despised her, but dared not to say anything because they were just as afraid of her. As for the old queen's daughter, she was killed by the new queen, who wanted her own child. I had always loved when Father told these stories to me and when I was a little girl, I used to thread flowers and leaves in my hair and pretend that I was the little dead princess grown up. I used to pretend that she wasn't killed by the queen, but was sold to the gypsies. I even wished that I was her and that Father was the true king in disguise. Father told me that my mother had also died of childbirth. Father, I think, has played a good role as both my parents. That's why I love him so much and will do anything he tells me. And now he was the chief of the gypsies, his brother died recently. He was the old chief and Father was next in line. After he is gone, I will be the head of the gypsies.

"Temperance," my father's loud voice broke into my thoughts.

"Yes, Father?" I stood and and walked over to him, standing outside the cave mouth.

"Come, we need to leave here." he replied. "Word has reached me of the royal soldiers are on their way to this exact spot. Someone must have told the queen of our whereabouts." He raised his head to the rest of the clan (which was about twenty). "We need to look out for any of the queen's special spies. I'm sure they are crawling around this part of the forest. We need to leave immediately."

Everyone in the group agreed and we left the cave to travel east. I breathed out a sigh of longing. I wanted to live freely and not to be hunted like a small, scared family of wild rabbits. We were people just like the thousands in the kingdom! Why were we hated so much? As we stumbled through the thickness of the forest plants, I glanced to my left. Alek walked easily between the large ferns and wind tree trunks. He was one of the strong men of the group, but he was only a few months older than me. My cheeks burned. His wavey, dark brown hair flicked across his square jaw and serious face. His dark brown eyes gleaned in the morning sunlight. His pack swung from his broad shoulders. The cream-white l, loose fitting shirt had a deep V, with thin ropes carelessly connecting them, showed a large majority of his hard, sun-tanned chest.

I don't know why I am so attracted to him. I guess I fancied the serious men. He never laughed with the rest of us and he never smiled. I love doing both things, so why was I so attracted to him? Maybe that was one if the many questions that were not meant to be answered. I slowly walked beside him.

"Hey Alek." I greeted awkwardly.

"Temperance." He nodded at me.

I took a deep breath in. "Where do you suppose Father is taking us?"

"I do not know." He replied shortly. I thought that he was going to add something else to his answer but instead I caught him looking below my chest and was obviously moving slightly closer to get a better look.

I hesitated. Maybe he wasn't all I had expected, but I was glad that he seemed to fancy me too.

"I hope we don't get caught by the queen's men," I blurted out, lamely, to make conversation.

"I wouldn't let them touch you." He reassured.

I smiled sweetly. "Thanks, Alek."

He lifted his shoulders and looked up ahead. "I don't want anything bad happening to the chief's daughter. I think anyone would save you to get on his good side."

I really didn't need him to say that. I guess he doesn't have any interest in me-- he must just want to get on my father's good side to marry me and become the new chief. Maybe he was just looking at how big my boobs were to see if I was worth it! That made me frown. what was I thinking? Alek wasn't that kind of person! I glanced at him. His eyes were on me again. Say something!

"Uh........."

He cleared his voice. "Temperance,"

"Yes, Alek?" I responded faster than I intended.

"You must excuse me for...looking at you inappropriately. You have to understand that I am not that kind if man."

I smiled. "I know you are not. I know you are a nice man and an understanding and sweet man." Great speech.

He nodded at me again. "I promise to protect you from the bad of this world," and then he seemed to realize that that is not something he would say to anyone. He stared down at his feet in embarrassment.

I looked ahead, having feelings that this trip might take a while. As I was walking, I was not looking at what was below me. I felt an exposed tree root dig underneath my foot and i felt myself fall to the ground, but before I could hit the hard, brown floor, I felt strong arms wrap around my waist. I wasn't falling anymore. I looked up and saw Alek over me and staring into my blue eyes. He seemed to be moving closed to me. Gosh. My face was burning. He was so attractive. I longed to press my lips against his. I longed to kiss him passionately and lightly kiss his neck and hard, exposed chest. His lips were millimeters away from mine. Out of the corner of my eye I could see that we were falling behind. But I didn't care. I just wanted him. I wanted him to kiss me. Were were a split second away from kissing when I heard my father call to us.

"Alek! Temperance! Keep up would you?"

I could have died right there of embarrassment. Alek and I burned bright red as he lifted me to stand straight. I wet my lips and started after the group.

"Come on, Alek, I think we should catch up."

He nodded reluctantly and followed me towards the rest of the group. My heart was still pounding. Just the thought of being in his arms again, millimeters away from kissing him made my cheeks burn. I wanted to tell him that I loved him but, I think he is out of the mood now and besides, there are so many members of the group that might hear.