Chapter 3: A day in the shrine

(Y/n)'s P.O.V)

My head is spinning, my body hurts, and I'm unsure wether all my limbs are still stuck to my body or not. My eyes are closed, that's for sure, but I know that I'm laying somewhere outside.

Oh, wait. I blacked out in my garden. Maybe that's it. My eyes flutter open.
The surroundings don't look like something that is in my backyard, mostly because I don't own any large oak trees.

I look down myself, relieved to see that I'm wearing a (f/c) summer dress, instead of pajamas.

I slowly stand up, aware of that my head's spinning so much, it feels like it's gonna fall off any time soon.

Cautiously I spin around, noticing that I'm in between some bushes and trees.
Stairs are visible through an opening in the bushes, as a girl about my age comes.

Wait! She looks exactly like that girl my mother showed me in my dream!

I step out of the bushes, keeping in mind that I probably look like some hooligan right now.

The girl turns her head and shrieks, but calms down, knowing that I mean no harm towards her.

"Hi, uhm...do you live here? Are you a part of this household?" she points at the shrine.

Funny enough she doesn't even realize that it's a shrine yet.

"Oh, no sorry. I'm just a by passer. You see, I'm currently looking for a place to stay." I smile and brush some dirt off my shoulder, surprised that I'm able to improvise so well.
"I'm (F/n) (L/n)."

The girl smiles and we shake hands.
"I'm Nanami Momozono. It's nice to meet you!"

...Nanami Momozono.....why does that name sound so familiar?
I can worry about that later, right now, I need to focus.

"So, what brings you here?" I ask as we walk up the stairs and through the gate.

Nanami is silent for a moment, before she finds a small piece of paper from her pocket.
I take a look at it. It's a lazily drawn map. Wow, typical Mikage...wait, what!? Where did that name come from?

"(Y/n), welcome! I'm sorry for contacting you just now, but I had some trouble getting to you. The name, Mikage, comes from the previous Land God.
Don't tell anyone about this.
Act as if all this is new to you. I won't be able to contact you again, so good luck, and please take care."

My mom's voice says. It seems that it's all in my head, since Nanami doesn't show any sign of fear. (I can already tell that she gets scared easily.)

"I got this from some guy I saved. He said that I could have his home. You see, I lost mine just recently,"  Nanami says while putting the paper back in her pocket.

While we continue to walk, Nanami tells me about her father, and how she lost her house.
I raise my eyebrows in surprise.
What a nice father (not). I feel sorry for her.
It must be kinda weird to save a stranger, who gives you their house....well, shrine.

Nanami and I step through the gate.
"Woah! This is a shrine?!" she bursts out.
I giggle, because I find it funny how she didn't realize that until now.
She gives me a weird look, but manages to smile.
"Should we go in?"

I seriously want to roll my eyes and say: 'Nooooo, let's just stay out here and wait for someone to notice us!' but I resist temptation.

I nod as we walk closer to the shrine. The atmosphere's thick, so something's definitely gonna happen.

"Prepare yourself....(Y/n). Let the game begin."