Prologue

Darius

I walked into my house to see a beautiful woman dancing in my kitchen with her back to me, so she didn't notice anyone was hear. She was listening to Beyoncé and dancing her heart out. I couldn't help the smile that was growing on my face. I held the flowers in one hand and my other hand was in my suit pocket rubbing my thumb over the velvet.
So much has happened since prom almost a couple of months ago. It was a lot going on and it stressed me out. With the Nichole drama and dealing with Kendall, loosing someone I saw as my little brother, and stuff in general. I was so over everything, I was tired of the game and I knew my mom was too. After Mike's death, she has been on edge every time I leave the house. I don't blame her, I knew how dangerous it could get, but I would sugarcoat it to my mom.
Speaking of my mom, she is so much more happier now that I am out of the game. Chris, Trey, Ariel, and my mom all left Atlanta behind. I knew that if we wanted a better life, we had to relocate. Especially for my girl. I didn't want the past to creep up behind her and things go haywire between us. I want to give her the best and to do that, I have to leave Atlanta.
I can say my life is finally content. I'm happy and in love. It took a while, but I turned my life around using basketball. I'm proud of Trey because he is academically smart and with the way he acts, you would not have known that. Chris is doing good as well, he is more into Football though and he is the best one. My mom works at a really good hospital and she don't have to work double or even triple night shifts just to pay bills, no they pay her really good, but I'm the one paying the bills with the left over dirty money. I even was able to put Ariel in a performing Art school and she loves it.
Everyone is doing good for themselves and I'm happy we all are together holding each other afloat. But the best news is that rumor has it I will be in the first draft. I want to do it, but I know I need my education as well in case anything was to happen I will have a career to fall back on. My coach on the other hand is really thinking I should do it, he says over and over how much faith he has in me. I just told him to let me think it over this weekend. I didn't want that to stop me from my engagement plans tonight, this night is just for her. No scouts, no coach, and no draft is going to get in the way of her special moment. I was standing in a navy blue tux with the matching tie. I called her before I made my way here and told her to get dressed in something nice. Leave it to her to continue cleaning in my college shirt and some leggings. I laughed catching her attention. She turned around and gave me a pouting face, I smiled as I walked closer to her.
"Darius stop."
I kissed her cheek as I watched the glow on her face as she noticed the flowers. It still confuses me because I do this so often.
"Darius, you didn't have to."
"I wanted to."
I heard sniffing, I looked down at my chest and she was crying.
"Baby, why are you crying?"
"You really are a good man, I hate that you went through what you went through."
I sighed and wiped her tears, here we go again.
"Baby, stop?"
"No, what kind of girl puts a good guy like you through all of that ex drama she couldn't handle herself."
I listened and let her keep talking, even though it was really how she felt, it was definitely the hormones talking. Having a girl that is 5 months pregnant is a lot, especially when she holds grudges.
"She is stupid and ignorant and an a$$hole."
"Hey, stop."
I held her close and calmed her down before she got kind of crazy thinking about the past. I kissed the top of her head and pulled her face back so she could look into my eyes and the seriousness on my face.
"It's the past, it doesn't matter anymore. I'm with you and look I'm still alive and building a family with you, now stop bad mouthing before I wash your mouth out with some soap and bleach. She laughed and buried her head in my chest. I heard her sigh in content and we just stood in the middle of the kitchen holding onto each other.
I pulled away after a few minutes and wiped her eyes.
"Now hurry up and get dressed before we are late."
She laughed and walked upstairs, but I didn't let her get too far before I smacked her butt hard, like painful hard. She yelled and laughed as she slowly sat on the stairs rubbing her butt.
"Stop, Darius."
I laughed and helped her up so she could get dressed. Once she walked into our room, I walked to the couch and turned to TV to the game.
Maybe 45 or an hour or so later I heard hills clanking against the stairs. I turned off the TV and looked at my watch, okay we have an hour before our reservations, just enough time to get her there. I walked to the stairs and I was amazed. I know my mom and her mom went shopping earlier, but I didn't expect this. It was really sexy, but to me it was perfect.
"You look perfect."
She smiled then walked up to me. I wrapped my arms around her neck and her arms were wrapped around my waist.
"I love you."
"I love you too."