Chapter 1

He could never forget that day. The day he and Lisa found Carol up at the old ruin, mourning Andrew 's death. She emerged from the ruins with new energy and walked as quickly as she could back down the hill with John and Lisa trying to keep up. Lisa stuck by her side while John, as always, trailed in her shadow.

They reached the farmhouse, the air filled with question marks. "Make us a cuppa, Lisa love, and I'll go get cleaned up," said Carol.

Once she had disappeared Lisa and John were left in the kitchen looking at each other. "What happens now, do you reckon?" asked Lisa. She loved John like some kind of soft blend between a dad and a big brother. She had felt more settled since he had married Carol and moved in than she could ever remember. Even in the last days since Andrew had tried unsuccessfully to whisk Carol away, and then permanently removed himself from their lives. John had been a warm and kind presence, letting her know that she was welcome with him. Suddenly now with this abrupt change in Carol 's attitude Lisa was afraid she might do something stupid and end their comfortable home life once and for all. "I don't want her to ruin things, John! I don't want her to wreck our family!" Lisa blurted out, her voice wobbly with emotion.

John didn't hesitate. He strode over to Lisa, threw his arms around her in a huge hug and held her tight. "She can't do that, Lisa love. Whatever happens, you are like a little sister to me and I'll always be here for you." So rarely in his life had John felt comfortable with anyone outside of his immediate family. He treasured having that feeling with Lisa and wouldn't let anything get in the way. "Now come on, get that kettle on or we will both be in trouble!" He patted Lisa's head and let go. He wanted nothing more than to reassure her that everything was fine, they were safe and could carry on as a family. In reality he had no idea what was going through Carol's mind and knew that only she had the power to decide which way his future would go. He took the mug of tea Lisa offered him and settled himself down at the kitchen table to await his fate.