Changed.

Chapter 1. 

Oakley's POV.

My brother always told me to keep my mind open wide, full of imagination and optimism. Somehow I don't think that's possible in the situation I am facing today. He tells me it feels like his body is slowly losing air and filling up with a thick dark layer of fog that will eventually take over his whole body and he will have no control. I cry when he says things like this. One tear after another like sheep following each other. He wipes them away and tells me not to worry about a thing. He tells me he is fine, but the noise of the beeping hospital machine that sits next to his bed, the needles he gets and the pains he goes through doesn't seem fine to me. 

My mother doesn't seem to be herself anymore. It's like she's in a different world now. Never thinking straight. My brother's illness has really made her depressed. What's happening to my brother is horribly sad but with mum being sad like that it's even worse. 

I guess I'll have to live with that. I can't bear the thought of him leaving us. He says everything will be okay, but those words are so hard to believe. Where did it suddenly all go wrong? Everything was great, mum was happy, Jensen and his girlfriend Mel were happy too even I was happy. The weather was great and we were just living life to its fullest. How did it all turn so bad so fast? My thoughts were interupted by a knock on my bedroom door,

 "Oakley, honey time to get up for school." Mum said in a sad tone, I felt so sorry for her. "I'm not going, " I said back to her, she opened my door and poked her head around the corner, "Don't be silly, of course you are. You can visit Jensen after school with Mel." She said, I sighed not wanting to put up a fuss because I knew I wouldn't win anyway and climbed out of bed to go have a shower. 

After my shower, I dried my hair and put some make up on before making my way downstairs to wait for Will.  "Have something to eat Oakley," Mum called out from the loungeroom as I sat at the kitchen bench. I wasn't hungry so I just pretended I didn't hear her. Finally the door bell rang, "Bye mum," I called out as I closed the door behind me.

 "Goodmorning Sunshine," Will said with a smirk. "Shut up," I said laughing and playfully punching him in the arm. He laughed, "Nice day yeah, up for a surf after school?" Will asked as we walked to school. "Not today I'm going to see Jensen, sorry." I said lowering my head, I felt bad because I haven't been hanging around with Will as much since Jensen went to hospital. I knew Will would understand though. "Oakley, dont feel bad it's fine I totally understand. You should be with Jensen anyway. Mum and I were thinking of coming to visit him sometime this week aswell." He said smiling. Will really is a great best friend, I'm glad I have him. "Alright well, wait for me afterschool yeah?" Will said before hugging me, "Of coarse," I smiled and we both went our seperate ways to class. 

The day was dragging on and by lunchtime all I wanted to do was leave. Finally the bell went, I packed up my science books and walked back to my locker placing them inside, grabbing my bag and walking to the front gate to wait for Will. He always took forever after school  and whenever I asked why he said because he has to say goodbye to all the chicks that follow him. He makes me laugh. 

"Finally," I said rolling my eyes as Will walked towards me, "Sorry I am late Miss Smith how will you ever forgive me." He said and we both started laughing, his such a loser. We began walking home, talking about our days, people at school, surfing and anything else that came to mind until we reached my house. 

"I'll call you later," I said smiling as I walked up the front stairs  and knocked on the door. "Alright cool, bye." Will said before continueing on to his house. 

"Hey honey, how was school?" Mum said with a fake smile across her face, she tried so hard to be happy for me but I could tell it wasn't real."Yeah, alright." I answered,   "and how is Will?" She asked while making herself a cup of Tea. "Yeah his good, I'm going to get changed call me when Mel gets here." I said smiling and making my way upstairs.