Darkness

Darkness. It enveloped me in its depth. I couldn't see. Questions flooded my mind; where am I? How did i get here? Questions I couldn't answer; I couldn't remember anything. I panicked, the darkness was crushing me and I couldn't breathe. I sank to the floor and put my head between my knees, and eventually the hyperventilation ceased and the initial panic calmed, but was still pulsing through my head. I shakily got to my feet and blindly stumbled forwards, arms out stretched. I didn't know what I was looking for, nor what I was hoping to find, but still, nothing. I stumbled forwards, hoping for a wall to materialize or for some sort of light switch, but after an hours walking I had given up on feeling infront of me; my arms hung loosely at my sides. A new wave of hysteria washed over me - what if there was no way out? No, I told myself, no more panic attacks, they wont help anything. Defeated i slumped to the floor once again, drew up my knees and curled into a ball. My eyes drooped, but i couldn't risk sleeping, I hated the dark. It wasn't the darkness itself i was afraid of, it was how vulnerable it made me. I wasn't scared of  the "monsters" that Jayda used to think lived in the darkness.. JAYDA! Where was Jayda?! I sprang to my feet and started running, in no particular direction, screaming her name. I called for her until i was hoarse, but it was no use, i was alone in the darkness. I burst into tears and collapsed in a heap on the floor.

-

I looked up and Jayda was standing in the doorway smiling and playing with her messy plait i had done for her earlier. "Jayda what are you doing here? All your friends are outside," I smiled at her.

"We're playing hide and seek," she beamed at me, "can I hide in here? Daniel will never find me in here," she giggled, obviously proud of having thought of such a good hiding spot.

"Sure, anything for my birthday girl!" I laughed as she ran over to my closet and shut the door behind her, I could hear her muffled giggling from my homework-laden desk.

After about 30 seconds, Jayda pushed open the door and grumpily stomped over to me.

"Emily i'm bored, Daniel isn't very good at finding me," she huffed.

"Jayda," I laughed, "It's only been a minute, and remember, you have the advantage over him."

"Ugh, okays, but how do you say 'i win' again?" I signed out the phrase and sent her out to the garden again. I went over to the window and smiled when i saw Daniel still counting inwardly with his hands over his eyes as Jayda came running over to him, just as she reached him, Daniel opened his eyes and smiled from ear to ear. They're so cute together, maybe when they're older.. I chuckled and leaned against the window frame as Jayda screwed up her face in concentration, then accidentally signed 'you win' instead of 'i win'. Daniel shook his head gently then corrected her, showing her the correct movements before signing 'Happy Birthday' Jayda paused as she tried to remember what he had said, then, after figuring it out, hugged him tightly. I smiled softly and lay down on my bed, it was so nice for Jayda and Jamie to be so close. Since they met in nursery, they'd been inseperable, and Jayda was picking up sign language quicker than i picked up French after three years. I groaned, French homework. "Oh well," i yawned out loud, "I'll do it in the morning."

My eyes slid shut and i bolted upright; I was alone in the darkness once again.

A/N Hi :) this is my first attempt at uploading a story to Wattpad, i'm not sure when i'll next be able to upload, but please vote and comment :) x

~Aileen~