Dr. Kappel

"A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life."—Frank Abagnale

June 12, 2150

Alexander and Mia hugged. "I knew you wouldn't ask for help even if you needed it and normally you're the funeral acolyte, but I am acolyting this time. I also brought food and cards from people at church."

"Thanks, Mia," Alexander said.

"Sure. How are Ella and Daisy?"

"They've been a lot better."

"How are you?"

"I'll be all right."

"I'm sorry. That's what everybody says, but you probably know I'm not just trying to be polite and comforting."

"I know."

Of course, Benjamin came to the funeral, but so did Chava.

"What are you doing here?" Alexander asked, surprised. "I'm glad you are, though! I'm just surprised."

"I'm trying to be a good friend," she said, "Besides, I've never been in a church before and probably should go at least once, just to see what it's like."

"It's very simple. Everything is either in the bulletin or the brown hymnal. The pastor spells out anything confusing."

"My mom sent you a loaf of challah bread, too." Chava had made it, but she was too shy to say so.

"Will you tell her thanks a lot?" Alexander asked and whispered, "It's nice when people I don't know well do it, but it's awfully encouraging when people I know or their family do it."

"Of course, I'll tell her."

Alexander, Ella, Daisy, and Aunt Nadia came home from the funeral. A strange car was in the driveway, which none of them noticed at first because all of them just waned to go inside and let their introverted systems recover. On the porch, when everybody else was inside, Alexander noticed a man getting out of the car.

"Hello." Alexander walked down the steps. Oh my gosh. Look! Don't freak out. I'm not. You aren't a codfish. Shut your mouth. He said "Hi." Say something. "How are you?"

"Good," Dr. Kappel said, "How are you?"

"Good." No matter what happened, the Watts-appropriate response to that was "good," except during doctor appointments. It almost tricked the mind into thinking that it was true.

"Good."

"Do you want to see Herbert?" Don't ask him that, idiot. Why would he want to see Herbert?, but as Brain said that, Dr. Kappel said that he would like to.

Aunt Nadia saw Dr. Kappel through the window. She told Ella and Daisy, "Somebody's just come over, but I don't think you should talk to him. Let's vegetate."

"Get out of here, Rachel," Alexander said to a raccoon, who hissed at him, making Dr. Kappel jump. "Shoo. That's Rachel the Raccoon. She made a nest in here. She's got a family, so I hate to evict her. Fetch." He threw an apple outside and Rachel chased it, followed closely by her kits. "This is Herbert. I haven't had a chance to clean her for two weeks, so..."

"I heard about your mother and I'm awfully sorry about it," Dr. Kappel said.

Alexander never knew what to say to that, so he did not say anything to it. He also never understood why strangers would say they were sorry that somebody they did not know died.

"I never thought I would end up here," Dr. Kappel said, running his fingers through his hair.

Gears began to turn in Alexander's head, but it took Brain a while to figure out how to say it. He knew it anyway. Before saying anything, he wanted to be sure. "Sorry, but why would you want to be here, anyway? People don't just show up to see Herbert. Especially Doctors of Philosophy in Physics."