two

When Libby took the long way home, she had decided that she would rather get drenched than go home any time soon so she allowed the rain to catch up with her slow walking pace.

A few minutes in the rain and the temperature quickly dropped. Soon, she had become used to the bitter cold and paid no attention to the numbing of her fingertips or her soaked clothes clinging on to her skin. All she could feel was the anxiety twinging and knotting her stomach.

She stared at her shoes and watched as she put one foot in front of the other on the wet road, concentrating on reducing the speed of her steps. She snapped head up at the sound of a car approaching. Libby moved off the side of the road and waited for it to speed pass so she could continue walking.

But it didn't.

A familiar car slowly pulled up besides Libby. The lingering feeling of anxiety twisted with slight fear. If they offer you a lift say no, Libby thought quickly to herself, and if they get out of the car, run into the woods.

The window rolled down to reveal a young man in the driver's seat. Libby's heart skipped a beat and a breathless smile emerged on her face.

"Harry?"

"Libby, what the hell are you doing in this rain?" He scolded teasingly over the noise of the rain, a smile upturning the corners of his lips.

Harry Styles was a good, long term family friend of the Morans'. Before he had left for university, Harry and Libby had a close friendship, despite the age gap of three years. Since meeting him from a young age, Libby adored Harry and she had forgotten how much she did in the six months he was gone.

"You're back in town?" She asked, walking towards the car.

"Yeah, just came back today. Come on, I'll drop you back home."

Libby's face fell slightly. She wanted to catch up with Harry. It had been too long since she had last seen him but she wasn't prepared to go home. Not yet. Harry would come in with her and spend hours engaged in a conversation. And she knew that as soon as Harry left, the mood would immediately drop.

"No, it's okay," She told him, taking a step away from the car. "I'm fine walking."

"What do you mean you're fine walking?" He scoffed. "Come on, get in."

"Honestly, it's fine."

He raised an eyebrow. "Libby, it's pouring," He said slowly.

"It's not that far to my house."

"It's like another mile. Let me give you a lift."

She stared at him. The rain began to thunder down, as if urging her to take up Harry's offer. He watched her expectantly, a knowing look among his attractive features. She opened the car door and hopped in. Harry grinned as she buckled her seat belt. Just as he started to drive again, Libby spoke in a timid voice.

"Could we...could we not go back home?"

He looked at her, concern slight among the confusion on his face.

"I...I just don't want to go home yet."

"Sure?" Harry said uncertainly. "Where did you want...?"

"Yours. If that's okay with you," She added quickly. "I don't want to be a burden. I could always-"

"Libby, you could never be such a thing."

She smiled and Harry drove through the rain. It was heavy now and it lashed against the roof of the vehicle at a rapid speed. It was dark with only the headlights on but the dim light gave Libby comfort. She felt uncomfortable in her damp clothes but she soon settled into the warmth of the car. It was silent until Harry broke the silence with a conversation.

"How have you been?" He asked airily.

"Good," Libby nodded.

"Much changed since I was last here?"

A lot had changed. Harry used to always come down at the weekends but when that stopped, so did normality like Harry was the only thing holding it together.

But to his question, she simply shrugged and shook her head. He nodded, seeming slightly displeased with her answer but didn't leave the conversation hanging.

"You're still in school, aren't you?"

"It's only been six months, Harry. Not six years."

He laughed. Libby could feel her body fully relax from the tension of discomfort. His laugh was still the same.

"I know. I just feel like it's been too long since I've seen you."

"Yeah," She agreed. "It has."

Harry looked over at her and their smiles mirrored. He turned his eyes back to the road and silence returned.

Then Libby found the words that she had been wishing to say rolling out of her mouth. "I missed you," She admitted quietly.

There was a hesitant pause before Harry spoke in a tone quiet like hers. "I missed you too."