Meeting an Old Friend

(Four years later)

I sit in the abandoned house we all live in. There are more of us now. Thirteen of them in all. After my sister and I left our old home we met with other kids like me. We all have different powers but we all ran away from home.

We have no families. We are each other's family now, and we don't take just anyone. You have to prove yourself and pass my tests to join. I did that after some idiot tried to kill my sister for accidentally knocking over his drink. I beat him to a pulp then left him in the street.

I am very protective of my sister, and everyone knows it. You can get on my bad side real quick if you mess with her. I've killed people for hurting her. She and the pack are the only ones I will ever kill to protect. No one will mess with her as long as I'm still breathing, and I've proved that.

The rest of the family protect her as well. We all have each other's back. We all are very protective over each other. We are like a pack of wolves. Where you see one you better know that the rest of us aren't far behind.

We have at least two who stay behind to protect the younger ones, who are still to young to 'hunt' with the rest of us. The one in charge of that is Kassidy. She was the first we found after we left home. She was all alone and she was instantly protective over my sister. She has the powers of persuasion and manipulation. She is almost always at my side to keep me from killing people.

Jon was next I found him when he was trying to steal some food and he ran into the alley where I was. He shared his food and asked if he could join us. I told him 'yes' so now he is in charge of scoping out places for us to 'hunt' to get food. He has the power to hear people's thoughts and move things with his mind. He is my right-hand man, so he can tell me when someone is going to try to hurt me or the family.

Brick is next. His real name is Hector, but we call him 'Brick' because he is literally a wall of muscle. You punch him and it's like hitting a brick wall, and believe me I would know. We found him, well he found us. He knew we had food and he tried to steal some and I beat him and was about to kill him when Kass stopped me. I gave him two choices join us and him trying to hurt my sister would be forgiven, or he could take his chances fighting me and my back up, which was the very animals I talk to. He chose to stay with us, and now we are really close. He is the third member of my inner circle. He is also in charge of protection and security for the family.

The others are just hunters and whatever else we need to be, but they are no less important to the family and I tell them that every day. I am truly thankful for them all. They are loyal and obedient. I know I can count on them.

Me on the other hand. I am the leader of the pack. I tell everybody where to go and when to move. I've been leading since I started this group. I also chose who comes in and who doesn't. That job has caused many scraps. I've fought more rejects than actual enemies. One got so angry that he went after my sister, McKenna. I stopped him and killed him. The guys disposed of the body as I checked on Kenna, as we call her.

McKenna is my baby sister. She is the sweetest little girl you could ever meet. She is so loving and caring. She is the whole reason I am so harsh in who I chose to join. She is also developing powers of her own. She can freeze things on contact and she can shoot ice.

My powers are constantly growing and changing. Which makes me more dangerous. I seem to get a new power every week. Sometimes I get two, or it feels like it. The constant change makes me more of a threat to outsiders because I am such a quick learner and master my abilities very quickly.

I'm sitting at home playing with Logan's old dog tags, I always wear them to remind me that there are some good people left in this world. McKenna comes and sits on my lap. I smile and hug her. She lays her head on my shoulder and I see she has a book.