Life doesn’t work that way honey.

I couldn’t back out. I couldn’t let him believe I was okay with him leaving. I couldn’t end things this way. I couldn’t let him go this easily, could I?

I wouldn’t.

But he could. He could back out. He could believe that I was okay with him leaving. He could end things this way. He could let me go.

He would.

I knew it was coming. He hadn’t opened his mouth yet, instead he was still looking past me. Interested in something, or nothing. The latter more probable. He was… avoiding my gaze. He didn’t want to feel more pity. He was thinking of himself. He was selfish.

But I was more selfish. Trying to hold him back, trying to force him into marriage. I was stupid. It could never happen. He desired to be more. He needed to be more. He deserved that much. So who was I to stop him?

I was no one.

I took the diamond ring off and placed it on his palm. I closed his hand into a fist. A silent tear escaped my eye. The backstabber.

“Goodbye.” I whispered.

I saw his eyes become unglazed as I turned around. Only one of his tears escaped.

The two tears fell into the cat tail’s. Holding on to one another as they fell.

10 Years Later…

I grabbed Alfie and tickled him, he giggled. “Mommy stop it!” he huffed. I giggled along, matching Alfie’s smile. His smile grew, and I turned around just in time to see Noah attack me, tickling me. I shrieked his name, begging for him to get off of me.

Noah laughed, and imitated me, “Belen!” He leaned down and pecked me, before he got off me and helped me up. Alfie pretended to gag. “Buddy?”

“Mommy has cooties.” Alfie laughed.

“I do not!” I defended myself. “Come give mommy a kiss, Alfie.”

“No, mommy has cooties!” he shrieked and ran away.

I rolled my eyes and headed to the kitchen to get dinner ready. Noah followed me into the small kitchen, and hugged me from behind, burying his head into my hair and neck. He set butterfly kisses all over my neck and cheek. Lost in the kisses, I felt a numbing sensation.

I pulled away, to realize I had my hand on the stove. “Shit.” I muttered under my breath. I held my hand as Noah inspected it. Noah grabbed a bag of peas and put it on my hand. “Alfie! We’re leaving!”

The three of us headed to the hospital. I rested my non burned hand on my bloated stomach and tried to calm my breathing. In. Out. In. Out. Deep breaths, that’s all I though of.

At the hospital the doctor took care of my hand and then wrapped it up. I felt myself go back to normal. I took one last deep breath before my breathing steadied and the fluttering of my heart slowed to it’s regular rhythm.

I sighed in relief as we stepped out of the hospital and into the cool night air.

“Belen?” At first I thought it was Noah, but when I glanced at him I saw him turn back. I followed his lead.

My stomach sank. I recognized him instantly. It had been ten years but it seemed like it had been yesterday. “Oliver.” I whispered into the night that suddenly seemed too cold. On impulse I ran to him, enveloping him in my arms, which was hard to do in my condition. He froze and I pulled away. I looked at him, his hand was in a cast.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, glancing at the cast.

“Broke my arm.” he answered simply, he knew that wasn’t the answer I was looking for. I wanted to know how. I let it go though. Oliver glanced behind me.

It was exactly like… I didn’t let myself finish that thought.

“This is Noah, and our son, Alfie.” I said, quietly, motioning behind me.

“Oliver.” was all he said, with a small wave to Noah, who still kept his distance.

Alfie looked at Oliver and I. Curiosity in his eyes, he was dying to run to me, but Noah’s hand was intertwined with Alfie’s.

Oliver’s eyes traveled to my bloated stomach. A shadow of shock and sorrow crossed his face, before it returned to it’s emotionless state.

“It’s a boy.” I whispered, breaking the still of the night. My hand rested on my stomach. “Two more months.”

He nodded, “Well, it was nice seeing you. I have to go…” he offered a small smile and wave as he turned and walked off into the dark parking lot. I watched for a second before I called out a goodbye. I turned around and joined my family. The diamond ring in my hand shone under the moonlight. It made me smile- knowing Noah had given it to me because he loved me.

In the car, Noah questioned me about Oliver, a simple, “Who was that?”

I knew I didn’t have to tell him. “An old flame.”

No one knew about my previous engagement. That was Oliver and my secret. Our secret… I smiled at the thought. No one else would ever know. I doubted he had told anyone.

My hand fluttered to my stomach.

As if reading my thoughts, Noah rested a hand on my own hand and stomach. He looked at me momentarily, love shining in his dark brown eyes, “Hey, Ollie-Wolly.”