"What exactly is it that you can bring to the cooperation? All I have seen thus far is resistance and insults." I found myself asking. I blinked, a little surprised at my own words. I was thinking it yes, but I didn't expect it to come out.

"You question me pup? I could eat you for my next meal," Illaise bristled predictably, rising taller in all her nudity, her eyes flashing challenge. This is what I got for not minding my tongue, I had drawn attention to myself, I had challenged her. And now I either had to submit publicly, or...

The hand I had placed in my satchel twitched. I found the bundle straight away, marked with several loops of twisted twine. This one had been created in a rush, with no room for testing, and I had no idea if it would work or not. But I needed to prove myself.

Before Illaise could guess my intentions I pulled the bundle out and tossed it behind her, into the group of shifter warriors that waited in the background. There was a satisfying crash of clay breaking and smoke immediately filled the air just as I planned. I had the irrational urge to jump up and down. My creation worked. The smoke was the result of a jar of highly powerful acid I had reduced breaking and mixing with a full pot of dried moonblossoms. The warriors watched the progress unconcerned for a moment, not seeing the danger.

It only took one deep breath before the first of the warriors collapsed. He was followed by six others in quick succession. Those far enough away to be out of the smoke's influence backed farther from the scene, casting frantic looks at their leader.

Illaise stopped her progression toward me, fury pulled her face tight, but her eyes were wary of my satchel and the hand I had replaced within it, just in case.

"You have just made an enemy little shifter," she growled.

I shook my head at her, denying her words. "They only sleep, and very briefly. That," I nodded toward the bundle, it had stopped smoking now and lay innocuously before us, "among my other creations, is what we have to contribute to this fight. I ask again what is it that you will give?" I did not mention that the smoke wouldn't likely be effective against the creatures. The possessed shifters didn't work like other living things.

Or did they? I thought back to the female creature we had faced in the forest. She hadn't bled as I had expected, so something was notably wrong with her circulatory system, but she had been breathing. Could that be the answer? Or at least something I could work with? Ideas started flowing through my mind, but it was not the time for tinkering with plans.

Illaise did not look like a woman willing to bargain, she looked like a woman ready to tear my throat out. When the first of the warriors stirred from his slumber and rolled over, rising to his feet and shaking his head, she watched for a long moment.

"You are a dangerous shifter," she admitted at last, a spark of what I hoped was respect and not an idea of how to kill me in the future, flashed in her eyes. The rest of the men were rising now. They were not looking at me with as much kindness. No doubt I had insulted their masculinity and warrior prowess by laying them out so easily in front of their alpha. Cillumn growled low behind me, making yet another claim upon me, this one of protection...I would have to speak with him later I decided.

Gayriel muttered something low, for my ears only. I couldn't make out her words, but I did remember that she had wanted me to solidify the woman's cooperation.

"I can create a weapon that will take out the possessed shifters, but in exchange I require help freeing my sister from whatever evil is causing this. She has been missing for over a week now," I bit my lip, hoping I could make good on my promise. As it stood my current weapon could barely be called effective.

Illaise cringed and shook her head sadly. I was surprised by the show of emotion, but I didn't like the feeling I got that she was writing Adda off as dead. She watched me speculatively for a long while and then nodded. Either deciding to go along with my delusion, or that I could be useful even if she believed my sister already gone.

"We have tracked the origins of the possessions and have the location of the enemies camp. It is swarming with Quatori and dozens, perhaps hundreds of our destroyed kin. I do not know where all of the shifters there have come from," she shook her head. "We have not been able to find a way to infiltrate it. Or even to prevent the creatures from bringing new shifters in. Not for lack of trying...but perhaps with a more effective weapon...I will trade you my information for your...unique...aid."

I hesitated. The Archon had made it clear that this mission would be led by Dragon Lords, Illaise was clearly making her own task. Would it be a betrayal to accept this bargain? Did it matter? I didn't owe the Archon any loyalty...Cillumn however. But Illaise had experience with the creatures, and information that I needed. Until we had returned to the aerie the Dragon Lords hadn't even known of them.

"It is a deal," I agreed at last, sealing my fate.