"Illaise," Gayriel called from behind me. The urge to submit intensified as the gray eyes turned my way...and narrowed.

I was still fighting the need to run far and fast from the battle overhead, the glare the outsider Alpha sent me nearly pushed me over the edge. A reassuring hand placed on my back was the only thing halting me.

"Peace Lis, breath."

Somehow Cillumn sensed what I needed. Which could have been because in my terror I had forgotten to shield my emotions. I tried to work around to concealing them now, but there were simply too many and too strong. I did not have the calm or focus necessary for such a task.

Illaise flashed to human form. "You traitorous bitch, you have called me here to face my death," she snarled, stalking toward our group. I clutched my satchel closer, but did not step back from her path. It wasn't me she was aiming for anyway.

Gayriel stood her ground as well, though she appeared slightly resigned. Both of her guards stepped in front of her. I was surprised for a moment until I remembered that she was the Alpha's mate. This Aerie's Alpha's mate. She technically had more power in this interaction...socially, it could never be said that she had more physical power.

"Careful Illaise, you are attributing a lot of things to my power. You think I control this?" Gayriel flung a hand toward the battle. The roars and screeches were fading, they were moving off. I assumed the Amber Aerie Dragon's had defended well enough to chase any enemy from the skies above their home. I didn't look however, not yet, I might see this mutilated dragon and my imagination was doing a fantastic job picturing a dragon in the condition of the shifters I had seen. Subtly I loosened the tie on my satchel and slid my hand inside. I did not have time to arrange a capsule for my dart shooter, but I had other tricks in that bag. Darts would not pierce a dragon's scales anyhow, but the dragon's were not the only enemy that I felt threatened by at the moment.

Illaise stopped three steps away, fingers tapping her naked side as though wishing for some weapon she often held there. "You were involved with the disaster at the Onyx Aerie, involved with the dragon that leads this attack. It is reasonable to assume you have ties to this battle as well."

"Involved? Do you even remember what happened to me there? Or do you happily make up your own version of history?" Gayriel growled. "He tried to kill me, to bleed me out, and he was aided by your son."

Now I was confused. Dynarys had tried to kill his mate? These people were crazy. Why had Cillumn even brought me here? They were so tangled in their insanity, they weren't going to be any help for Adda.

"Besides, I am certain that this dragon is no longer Grim, he has been mutilated like the shifters. Something more powerful guides him now," Cillumn reasoned.

"Kurath..." Illaise shook her head. "If you do not wish to see my end, then why did you summon me? Are you committed to wasting my time?"

"We have a common enemy, it makes sense to cooperate."

"Cooperation implies an equal share in the work. What is it you think you will be able to do against this?" Illaise gestured.

"I will give you this information, when Kurath betrayed Dynarys he spoke of a master. The master was who Grim sought, and, I believe who did this to him."

Illaise snorted. "You think that is enough to contribute your share? Why did Grim seek this master? And why does he attack now?"

I frowned. Why did he attack now? Something was pulling at the back of my mind. I knew the answer to this. Fear distracted me, and frustration. Why did Gayriel insist on Illaise's cooperation? She seemed volatile at best. What good would her help be?