Chapter One

Mature. Mature is a word I've known since I was seven. I felt like I was the only mature one in my house. My mom was always out drinking, doing drugs, and hooking up with random men she'd find at the bar. My little brother, Payton, well he's too little to have any idea what that word means. Everything just sounds like gibberish to him. Goes in through one ear, and comes out the other.  I find myself taking more care of my brother than my mom actually does. She doesn't care about us. She even told me we were mistakes, but I try to ignore that.

  I woke up one morning to the yell of my mother. I ran down stairs to see what was wrong. When I got to the kitchen I saw one of her random guys choking her. I was only eight at the time, and I didn't know what to do.

"M-mom." I stutter.

  The man comes up to me and places only one of his hands on my chest. He forcefully pushes me to the ground. In the other hand I could see my mom still being choked. She would try to gasp for air, but the man's hand was too tight around her neck.

Eventually he released my mother.

"I swear little girl!" He yelled at me. "If you tell anyone about this...I'll kill your mommy!" He spat.

I shakily nodded my head and ran upstairs to Payton. I quickly opened the door to our room to find him still fast asleep. I lock the door behind me as I head towards Payton's crib. I got him out, and caressed his cheek with my hand. I rocked him side to side in my arms as tears fell down my face. Payton started to whimper a little but I softly shushed him and he fell right back asleep. A couple minutes later, I did too.

----------------------------------------------
Another new story! Hope you guys will enjoy this one!
----------------------------------------------