I'm really sorry.

Kate

After reading Kate's letter, he told everyone . "She doesn't want to marry me."

Kate's mother, Doña Karina Alano said, "We are still looking for Kate. We could still find her. Just don't announce the engagement yet, Third."

His grandmother, Doña Altagrasia butted in, "But almost everyone knew that they were to get married by May although no formal announcement had been made yet. This would be a big scandal on our family, Teodoro and Karina."

Don Teodoro appealed, "We still have time to find Kate. We just cannot cancel everything yet."

His mother, Doña Armida asked, "But what if we couldn't find, Kate? If she didn't want to marry my son then we cannot force her. We need to do something. We need to have a plan. We already contacted a wedding planner. Their wedding invitations are about to be printed this week. Her wedding dress is being made already. All other details will follow after the formal announcement of their engagement tonight."

Don Teodoro then stated, "If we cannot find Kate then we need to cancel the wedding."

Third broke his silence. He stood up, "No!" His voice was angry and loud. "I will not let my family be dragged into a scandal just because your daughter doesn't want to marry me, Tito Teodoro and Tita Karina. The wedding is still on. If Kate doesn't want to marry me then I will just marry another woman. I'll marry the woman who will first walk into this room."

His mother had questioned him, "Are you crazy, Third?"

But a very pretty woman knocked by the door and walked in with the medication for his grandmother and mother before Third could even answer his mother. It was time for Doña Armida's insulin shot for her diabetes. His mother had to take the shots on time. It was also time for his grandmother to take her maintenance medication for hypertension.

The nurse smiled and bowed to everyone, "Mama Mids, it's now time for your insulin shot. Lola Grace, it is also time for your maintenance meds." Everyone was silent.

Iryn Caparas was the private nurse taking care of his grandmother and mother. She was the niece of Rebecca Caparas, the former majordoma of the mansion who already died three years ago.

Iryn had been with the family since she was a young girl. Her parents died when she was four years old and Rebecca had been allowed to take her in. Iryn was four years younger than Third. His grandparents and parents had treated Rebecca and Iryn like family members. Iryn was sent to exclusive school for girls. She specifically took up nursing so she could take care of his grandparents and parents who were then of different sicknesses. She was a licensed nurse and she had been the primary caregiver of his grandmother and mother since she earned her license in nursing.

Everyone was looking at Iryn and was thinking she was not at all a bad choice.

Iryn was done with her tasks. She was already about to leave when Doña Armida voiced out, "Please stay, Iryn. We need to talk to you."

Iryn sat down on the couch by the vacant space beside Doña Armida. She was wandering why.

Doña Karina stated, "Kate had run away. She backed out of the wedding."

Iryn expressed her sympathy looking at Third, his mother and his grandmother, "I'm very sorry to hear that."

Don Teodoro added, "It's a very big scandal to both families but we're ready to take all the humiliation. Third, do what you must do to save your family from the scandal and we will help you in every possible way."

Third had spoken up, "Iryn, I want to speak up with you alone. Please follow me at the library."

The library was just beside the study room and there was a connecting door between the two rooms. Third had led Iryn to sit on the two couches facing each other and separated by a small circular coffee table at the center.

Third's voice was calm, "I need your help, Iryn."

Iryn replied to him a little nervous, "In what way, Third?"

Third stated, "You're aware that in less than a month I will be marrying Kate. Tonight, we shall formally announce our wedding engagement. Kate didn't want to marry me. But I cannot cancel the wedding. Preparations have already been going on. I just need a new bride. I want you to be my bride. Be with me tonight at the party. Let me introduce you to everyone as my fiancée."

Iryn was speechless. Third had always been nice to her. He treated her like a real sister and a real friend.

Third continued speaking, "For generations, the Sotto Clan had not been in any scandal. Save me from this one, Iryn."

Iryn found her voice to reply, "Don't you think choosing me is much more scandalous."

Third responded to her confidently, "How can that be scandalous, Iryn? Everyone will just think that I had a change of heart."

Iryn couldn't find the right words to disagree, "But..."

Especially when Third had begged her, "Please."

"Okay," she then agreed.

Third inserted the diamond engagement ring into her left ring finger. It perfectly fitted her finger.

Holding hands, they went back to the study room.

Third declared, "Iryn is now officially my fiancée. We shall announce our wedding engagement tonight and we'll get married on May 8.

Doña Altagrasia spoke up happily, "Armida, we need to ready Iryn for the party. Let's dress her up."

His grandmother and mother dragged Iryn out of the room.

Third talked to Kate's parents.

Third asked them, "So, what shall we tell everyone once I announce my fiancée is Iryn and not Kate?"

Don Teodoro answered, "We'll tell them that you two had decided to part ways amicably months ago and then you fell in love with Iryn. Iryn has been accompanying your family anyway in almost all of the social gatherings here in the province. She had been seen with you in many occasions wherein Kate was also there with your grandmother and your mother."

Doña Karina agreed, "Iryn is not a bad choice, Third. She has been with your family since she was a young girl. If our daughter really doesn't want to marry you then we cannot also allow humiliation for your family."

Don Teodoro added, "Go on with it. Even if we found Katlyn before May 8, we'll not force her anymore."

Third then told them, "Then it's settled. I still want you to stay for my birthday. I still hope that the friendship between our families will not be broken just because a marriage between Kate and I will not happen."

Don Teodoro acknowledged it, "You have nothing to worry about, Third. We will stay along with our sons and daughters-in-law. We will inform them about the changes."

Doña Karina apologized to him, "We deeply apologized for our daughter's actions, Third. I hope you can forgive her."

Third assured Kate's parents, "You have nothing to worry about, Tita Karina. In as much as Kate had put me in a very scandalous situation, I perfectly understand her. But I must do something to protect our name."

Don Teodoro expressed his utmost gratitude, "Thank you very much, Third."

The Alano couple had already left Third alone in the study room. Third then decided to go up to the room where Kate was supposed to change on the engagement gown and shoes his mother had bought especially for the event.

The one in the room was not Kate but Iryn. Iryn was like a family to them. When she lost her aunt three years ago, she didn't leave them because she was worried of the health of his grandmother and mother. She already finished her master's degree in nursing by then. They wished for her to stay even if there were job offers for her to work in prestigious hospitals in Vienburg.