Looking around, she could tell this was the job for her. The Council knew it, and she knew it. There were other Conceptionists, in their designated areas, either matching up a new pair of people for a new embryo, or checking the embryos for any deformities or mutations in the DNA before implanting it in the host mother.

With the exception of a few people calling over the Manager, it was relatively quiet. Everyone was so absorbed in their work to have a light conversation. But this not dim the amazement in her eyes.

A few other new employees had already gotten in their spots and were shadowing the others. She checked her folder and saw that she would be shadowing someone by the name of Louis Fredrickson.

She had remembered the name from last year's Calling, and knew he would only be a year older than her. Why would they assign me to shadow someone so young, she thought.

"At any rate," she huffed. "I have to find him." And her method was to ask the first person she saw who and where Louis was. She walked up to a man tall strong man, who looked to be fifty, and tapped his shoulder. He turned around and she immediately regretted it. This was the Manager. "Good morning Mr. Richards," she said politely. "My name is Clarissa Thompson, and I'm one of the new Conceptionist here-"

"Ah Clarissa!" He said, with a faux show of joy on his face. "Yes I remember you from the Calling last season. Great. Do you know who you are shadowing?"

"Yes actually. His name is Louis Fredrickson, and the Council did not provide me with a picture so I do not know what he looks like." She couldn't let him see how intimidated she really was. She needed to show him how normal she was.

"Louis...Louis. Where would he be?" Mr. Richards smiled at her and shook his head. "You see I don't know him that well yet. He just started working last year, and I haven't gotten a chance to really have a decent conversation with him."

You weren't supposed to mention your faults. It was one of the rules, and he just broke it. The Listeners were everywhere, and they would chatise him for this. She was sure of it.

"Oh," said Mr. Richards. "There he is." He pointed to a tall dark haired boy in the back of the lab. His back was turned, but Clara could still see that he was furiously working on something. "Good luck to you and welcome to the first day of the rest of your life."

"Thank you sir." Clara took a deep breath and let it out, trying to conseal her smile of excitement.

She tapped Louis on his shoulder, and he spun around with a look in his eyes she couldn't make out. "Yes?" he asked, a bit annoyed. "Can I help you?"

At least he's not ugly. And she was right. The young man had rosy pink lips, and light, very bright blue eyes. He had a strong jawline, which matched his muscular but still lean body. His black hair was tousled a lot, probably from running his fingers through it. She'd only seen one person before him who ran their finger through their hair, and was a strange and archaic habit to have. But it looked good on him.

"May I help you?" He asked again.

She blinked, being pulled back into reality. "Oh yes. I'm Clarissa Thompson, and I've been assigned to shadow you for the next year-"

"Oh that's right." He turned back to his area and went back to working. "I don't know how you can watch this process, but here I am choosing the best egg and sperm to use for the next offspring. Come on. Maybe if I get another microscope you can do it along with me."

She gasped and scrambled to his side. "How do you know which one to use?" she asked him.

He looked at her and motioned for her to come closer. This really wasn't normal behavior. Whatever you had to say, you said it. No whispers. No secrets. But if she was to shadow him, then she had to do whatever directions he had for her. And if that was hearing a secret, then so be it.