Unbreak My Heart

Rosa sat in the middle of the floor, the fireplace alight with bright orange flames and a glass of Pinot Grigio filled to the brim. Or at least it was. She's not sure when she drank all of the dry liquid, but it was suddenly gone from when her best friend, Amanda, poured it almost an half an hour ago. This was the next best thing to drink seeing as the bottle of Svedka was gone. The room was completely silent, Bria and Raleigh were both passed out on the couch and Amanda sat staring mindlessly into the hypnotizing flames.

The reason for the drinking occasion? Well it all started yesterday when Rosa decided to give her boyfriend, Eli, an afternoon treat while he was at work. She thought nothing of it when his secretary  deterred her from entering his office, thinking he was probably in an overdrawn meeting or conference call, but as she continued to wait, seconds turning into minutes and minutes into almost a half hour, she couldn't wait any longer. So as she decided enough was enough, going to his office with his secretary chasing her down, she couldn't believe her eyes when she saw he had another coworker bent over his desk, nailing her with the power of God.

Needless to say that she cut that out right there in the act and may have trashed his office in the process. Yesterday she was too angry too be upset. This evening, however, around five o'clock, the full brunt of everything hit her like a ton of bricks and she broke done like a 1969 El Camino. After explaining everything to Amanda, who listened patiently through the tears, her best friend assembled the rest of their friends and brought them as well as food and alcohol to her condo. That made her feel better for a few hours, especially the alcohol part, and got her mind off things until the bastard had the nerve to text her.

I'm coming over.

Three words that made her heart beat just a little more quickly. Three words that immediately put her back into her hysterical mood. Three words that made her friends decide they were going to wait until the bastard came, tear into him as soon as he walked into the door and then leave. The reason they were going to let him have it instead of Rosa was because that just wasn't the type of person Rosa was, especially when it came to Elijah Haywood.

When they met, he was the light of a very dark and ominous tunnel. As a graduate straight out of college he hooked her up with a job that helped her pay off most of her loans, helped her begin to cope with the death of her brother, and even gave her a new sense of the word family. Five years in a relationship and you begin to feel like his family is yours too. They treated her with the love and compassion she never got from her mother and father. She just knew from the crown of her head to the tips of her toes that this man was going to be the man she loved forever. The light at the end of a tunnel.

But yesterday fucked up everything. Nothing will be the same again.

As it was beginning to near eleven o'clock at night she deduced that he wasn't coming and her friends can go home. Or friend, because Bria and Raleigh were in a dead sleep. That was fine, they can sleep right where they were. He's not coming tonight anyway.  She'll deal with him and his fucked-up-ness tomorrow.

"Amanda," she whispers, and her friend perked up at her name. "You can go home. I'll be fine."

"No, honey, I'm waiting for that asshole so I can cuss him out." Amanda has always been the most assertive out of their quartet, she never took shit from anyone and was always so defiant. Her way or the highway.

Rosa stood from her seat and stretched, her joints popping from not have being used in a while. How long was I sitting there?

"It's fine, Amanda, I'm fine. Besides, it's eleven o'clock, I don't think he's coming tonight. Maybe he's not coming at all."

Her friend could see it all in her frame, her posture and her face that she really just wanted to be alone. And as much as Amanda wanted to stay in her seat she knew the best thing to do is just as she's asked. She'll come back tomorrow and check on her, this is probably the most devastating thing to happen to her since her brother.