Not So Sour Valentine

Not so Sour Valentine

The beautiful cover is done by @lucyface

I dialed Miranda's number one more time but she didn't pick up. Biting my lip in anticipation, hoping she's ok. Thinking back to that night on New years eve when it almost happened, it became very heated: clothes off and on the floor, breathes becoming short and heavy from our kisses, our limbs tangled together.

She was seriously ready, even guiding my hand between her legs but it didn't feel right to me. I know I gave her that whole spiel about me being a guy and having needs but I wanted it to make it special for me and her. Not just candles, satin sheets and smooth music, maybe some music.

I told her that we should take it slow, she said it was fine and she did mean it but as the month passed, she became a little distant. "I've been busy Sean, some stuff going on at home. No big deal," she had told me, even giving me a kiss on the lips for assurance. I smiled but it was forced, so I gave her some space. It's our one year anniversary of our first kiss on the sail boat. This time I didn't set up a boat trip date, I just wanted to be with her. "Miranda where are you?" I muttered to myself, dialing one more time and hoping she picks up. After four rings, it goes to voicemail again. I sighed deeply and put my phone in my pocket, "I should just go to her house." I stood up from my bed, grabbing my jacket and shoes. Heading out my room and through the living room, seeing dad on the couch watching his program. Not seeing mom, assuming that she went to work today. "Hey dad im heading out," I informed him, going to the kitchen first, opening the fridge to get a drink of water.

"Seeing Miranda for Valentine's day?" he asked, I leave the kitchen to see his eyes still on the TV.

"Yeah." i responded.

"Wear a condom." he simply said, making me roll my eyes with a smirk and open the door. "Oh son before you go, there's some mail for you."

"I'll get it later," I told him but he's already on his feet approaching me and puts the letters in my hand, walking back toward the couch and plopping down for a sit. I shake my head, my dad is of a few words but I love him. When I told him that i was with Miranda, he said and I quote 'its about damn time' and resumed eating his sandwich for lunch.

I wonder if he has any plans today for him and mom. Dad may be quiet at times but I get my romantic side from him. He had always told me to go for Miranda but I was with my ex previously. My parents did like my old girlfriend but kind of thought she was a bit prissy. I sighed and looked at the mail, counting only two. One addressed from Princeton University, slightly thick. My breath hitched in excitement, the school that I've been wanting to study at since I went there for a campus tour and loved the feel of it all.

They have an amazing engineering program, which is my major so its great for me. I smile to myself, leaving the house and closing the door behind me and start to open the letter but I stop when i see the second letter, handwritten font addressed to me from someone i haven't spoken to or seen in a year: Emily.