spksadcontest one shot

Wrote it from a guys perspective, first time doing this. really think this contest is a great way to promote single awareness day. hope u like it. :)

Sean:

I wish I could feel envious or even happy for the holding hands couples in the hallway. But all I feel is disgust and hate. This holiday is just so stupid, why do I need one day show my significant other that I love her? I can do that any day but I don't because I'm single. Don't think of me like I'm some cynic because I'm not, just kinda bitter. Bitter about the fact that my girlfriend of four months decided to move to Sweden just to quote 'get away from me because I'm too nice'. What the hell is that?! I thought girls liked nice guys. And they say we're confusing.

As I approach my locker, red and pink construction paper cover all of the lockers. Hearts, that fat baby with his arrows and wearing a diaper clutter the wall as well. I meant whose idea was it to let a baby be the face of the day of love. I mean does a baby even know anything about love? He looks like he's three or four months. Reaching my locker, I had to rip off the paper so I can get my books for Calculus. "Seany sean!" A high pitched voiced screamed into my ear, very perky, too perky for me.

"Do you want me to go deaf Miranda?" I scolded her. She just kept a big grin on her face.

Opening her mouth and said "Don't be such a grumpy gus, Seany"

"I told you about calling me that"

"Why because she-who-will-not-be-named used to call you that" she furrowed her eyebrows when I glanced at her.

Sighing heavily then shaking my head, I said "Her name is Emily"

"She has a name now? I thought saying it is like spewing sludge from your mouth. Your words, not mine"

"I'm over it" I am. I'm so lying, it sucks that the girl I thought I knew, could really love just spits on that flame of hope.

"You're such a liar, Sean. She sucks for telling you that she wants to break up with you by moving all the way to Europe. You're amazing and sweet and funny. She doesn't deserve you" She's right, she doesn't deserve me. But all the compliments, if I'm so amazing, why am I not still with her.

"We were supposed to go on a boat trip today" I blurted out, rolling my eyes in frustration. I scheduled it for her as a surprise a month ago but she surprised me by going whatever miles away. "I didn't cancel it yet, so I should just skip it"

"How much did you pay for it?" She asked while raising her eyebrows.

"Fifty bucks down the drain" I responded in a monotone voice. Closing my locker and starting to walk away. I hear her footsteps behind me, wanting to catch up since we have the same class.

"I'll go" she quirked. I scoffed and chuckled a little, thinking how would she do that? It's a double and very romantic.

"No it's fine. Besides it's a boat trip for two"

"Then come with me"

"No"

"Come on! It'll be fun. What would rather do: stay at home hating everything and pining over her or going on a cool boat trip with your best friend since fifth grade?" She smiled a toothy smile, fist pumping in the air. She looked cute doing that, she looked cute doing anything to make me smile.

"But it's kind of romantic environment. It has rose petals, all that gooey stuff" I explained, hoping she would back out so I wouldn't have to do anything after school.

"So?" she shrugged.

"So?" I scoffed back. "It's the day of love, Mir. Wouldn't that be weird since we're friends?"

"No. And who cares if it is? I love you, that's good enough. I've never been on a row boat pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssseeeee?" she pushed her bottom lip and pouted with puppy dog eyes. Oh my gosh, she knows I fall for that all the time.

"Fine, meet me by the car after school" I said exasperately.

"YAY!" She jumped and hugged me, kissing me on the cheek.

"We're gonna be late for class" I muttered and dragged her with me. School dragged on for the longest, it didn't make it any better that valentine grams were passed out all day. I even got one: a white teddy bear holding a rose with some chocolates. It didn't say who it was from but I kept it anyway. At least someone was thinking of me. I waited for Miranda by my car, checking my phone if I got any texts or anything on social media. I saw that I got a notification from Emily, posting a picture of her and some dude with short black hair. She's cuddling him in bed, the caption saying 'bliss'. Why am I still following her? I'm just torturing myself so I press the unfollow button, feeling a little better.

Looking up, I see Miranda just finished talking to one of our teachers, she starts to walk towards me with a big smile. Waving frantically, I laugh lightly at how silly she is. Blonde, brown eyes, skinny, fair skin, I always wondered why she hasn't dated anyone. "Ready!" she beamed at me, hopping slightly to the passenger seat.

"You're so weird" I mumbled. Ten minutes later, we make it to the boat yard; it's a packed placed filled with young and old couples. Thanking myself that I didn't cancel my reservation, because I wouldn't hear the end of it from Miranda. I tell them my name; they give us life jackets and show us to the boat. It's brown and big enough for two people with paddles. We got in and I start to row us softly, the comfortable silence envelops us as we reach far from the boat yard. I see Miranda staring at the water, dipping her fingers in and making ripples. She looked peaceful, wish I could be like that.

"Did you get any valentine grams?" She asked as her eyes still on the water.

"Yeah I did" I said "But it was anonymous"

"Really" She questioned, pulling her hand out and making eye contact with me.

"Yeah I didn't even think I would get one. Did you get one?"

"Just one from this guy named George?"

"Oooooh is he your love?" I sardonically said, splashing some water at her. She giggled and splashed back.

"No he's not, just a friend. He has a boyfriend, remember? He just send me one to be nice"

"Oh that's cool. Maybe he sent me one too" I said jokingly, looking at the water.

"No he didn't"

"And how would you know?" "Because I sent you that one" she said hesitantly. I look up and see her biting her lip, with a worry look on her face.

"What?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Sean I know this is spur of the moment so I'm just gonna say it. I really like you and not in friendly way. I have since ninth grade when you saved me from that project I had to do on Mussolini. I meant what I said earlier, you are a nice and amazing guy. Your blue eyes just make me want to melt on the floor. You deserve someone that likes you for who you are. I don't believe in that whole 'nice guys finish last' stuff because they should come first" she breathes out air from her mouth when she finishes.

I'm just shocked that she told me this, I've always liked her as a friend. Maybe I did have some thoughts of me and her being together but I didn't think she felt like this. I did have some thoughts of kissing her, her lips seemed so soft. Me dating Emily really blinded my perspective of her feelings.

"Let's just go back and forget I said anything" she sighed deeply, looking away. I leaned forward gently, grabbing her face to face me. My lips kissing hers gently, I was right. They are soft. She responds, holding my shoulders steady so we won't tip over. As cliché as it is, it felt right as our lips molded together. Letting go, our foreheads touch. Staring into her eyes, I see it. I see everything with her: going to movies, shopping, laughing at our inside jokes. We can be the couple that I was envious but happy for.