Chapter 1 - The Coronation

I cautiously polished the miniature knight resting on my nightstand. Its vibrant silver armor wasn't very vibrant anymore. The dazzling silver had gradually developed into an ugly tarnish, mainly in all the parts where I held it as a child.

Back when I was young, and ignorant to the things of this life. Back when my father, King David—the king of Lumen—was alive, and handling all the intricacies that came with ruling a kingdom.

Back when my mother, Queen Alice, was there to teach me the way a true princess should assist in running a kingdom.

And yet only two years have passed of what feels like an eternity since the day of their disappearance. Not death, not murder, but a mysterious disappearance, leaving no clues, no traces, and millions of unanswered questions.

A firm knock at my door caused me to glance over my shoulder aimlessly. "State your title," I called out.

The difference between now and then.

When I finally understood the power behind my title, adrenaline would rush through me at the opportunity to recite that statement. People had no choice but to listen to me. But to respect me and my authority.

But now, after all these years of struggling under the weight of leading an entire kingdom, I'd rather whoever it was simply just come in.

And the only two people who I wanted to walk through those oversized doors had vanished off the face of the Earth.

"Prince Klein," his posh voice broadcasted through the speakers from the intercom, seeming to have shaken my entire room.

"You may proceed," I responded with a sigh, fixing my posture as I set aside the miniature knight. Even through his corroded helmet and unfixable flaws, he was still ever so handsome.

The double doors to my room quickly and quietly opened.

"Your Royal Highness," Klein addressed me kindly. Almost too kindly.

"Good morning, Prince Klein. You're up bright and early this morning," I stated, facing his direction but keeping my glance fixated upon the discolored knight.

"Of course, Princess. Today is a very special day..."

I could hear the smile lingering in his voice and my nose scrunched up.

"Do tell me about it later, Klein," I finally turned to meet his eye. Taking in his tall and lean figure, I could see he was already dressed for today's event. His deep blue suit jacket matched his pants and underneath rested a silky black button up. My eyes finally reached his arrogantly attractive face.

His light brown hair was slicked back decoratively, showing off his sharp cheekbones as he could never grow facial hair.

"You seem uninterested in today's festivities. Care to share why?" He gradually closed the distance between us until he stood directly above me as I remained seated on my bed. I had an immediate urge to cough in order to break the thick atmosphere that began flooding the room, but Klein's fingers snagged my chin before I could. He tilted my head back to meet his gaze.

"You're so beautiful," he said gently.

My word were stuck in my throat again, just like always, and before I knew it, his lips were moving toward mine faster than I could process.

But a knock at the door stopped Klein in his tracks and a breathless sigh escaped my mouth, releasing the fear that had built up along with tension in my body.

"State your title," she was glad to have recited those words. So glad that a smile played at her lips as she escaped from Klein's grasp.

"Royal Advisor, Nala—"