Chasing Scarlet: Chapter Two

Start from the beginning

I turned the ham and checked it all over. Sighing in content, I plucked it up and placed it on a big platter used for only special meals. I brought it inside and saw Andra caring for Pete. I walked to a counter, fixed a mug of milk for the little one and handed it to Andra. Her murky blue eyes looked up and she smiled. "Thanks, sister. Petey was getting hungry."

"I'm sure he was." I pulled a chair from the table and sat behind Andra, undoing her hair. I braided it in one long braid, sticking her beloved bird's feathers in her hair, threading them in so they wouldn't fall out when she was running. The lord stood in the doorway, watching us.

I stood and placed the chair back. I tapped my sister's shoulder twice with three fingers, reached for her hand and focused on the lord. My hand tingled as she worked her secret magic. She gasped and I stared at the lord for her. Then I looked at her cradling Pete, the roasted ham, the entire kitchen. Her head followed my movements and relished every sight. She dreamed of our morning sights, I always let her use me, since she found out she could see through other people's eyes.

I slowly let go of her hand, and she sighed, disappointed. She grabbed my apron and pulled me down. "Lord Bently is kind of cute." My eyes widen but I chuckled. I straightened and patted her head.

"Sure, Andra. I'm glad you feel free enough to say that."

"Well what else can Mother do to me?"

"I'm not going to answer that, so instead, are you hungry?"

"Oh, yes!" I smiled and plucked loose pieces of ham from the bone and handed them to her. Stuffing them in her mouth, the lord now laughed. I frowned but said nothing as I knew my younger sister would say something.

"Why are you laughing?" She sounded offended, and she cradled Pete closer to her chest.

"I'm laughing because you act if you haven't eaten in days."

Gasping, I smacked him across the head. "Don't ever talk to my sister that way! She hasn't eaten in a day!" Immediately his face fell and he apologized to us. I humphed and went back to seasoning the ham like Mother liked. I felt eyes on me, so after sprinkling some herbs on the fresh meat, I turned to face the lord right behind me, licking his lips.

"Do you need something, milord?" I asked bluntly. I stepped in front of the food, protecting it from his hungry glare.

"Yes, I need food."

"Well, you can have food when Mother is awake. If you want food so badly, go wake her up." He seemed to consider it, then turned on his heels and into the small living room, off to find her room. "Here we go," I muttered. Continuing seasoning until I thought it was just perfect, I prettied it up, and opened the closet in the hallway. The lace table cloth laid on the table perfectly, not a single wrinkle could be seen, and Pete had picked some flowers with Andra's help. I delicately placed them in a vase and on the center of the table. Sighing, I stepped back to admire my work. Now for the plates and silverware. The best we had.

The chest in the living room held all the decorations we had. In the bottom, wrapped in silk, was our best silverware. Underneath, in silk were the expensive plates that had pretty flower patterns all the way around the outside. I carefully pulled them out and set the table how Mother had taught me so many years ago.

A racket came from Mother's room, as I presume the lord had awakened her. She came bustling into the fancied kitchen, pulling her robe close against her. She glared at me and started screaming. "You little brat! You told him to wake me up! You know very well that I need my sleep! Don't make any excuses, little bastard! You are in much trouble!" Her face was ruddy, her breath heavy.

The young man coughed and Mother whirled around, another stream of words dying on her lips. "I must say, I was hungry and she told me to wake you up if I wanted food that badly. It's not her fault." Was a lord actually standing up for me?

Mother looked flustered but sulked back to her room, getting dressed for breakfast. I hurried upstairs, shuffling through Andra's dresses and gowns. I had to help her pick out the best one for there was a lord eating breakfast with us. She sat on her bed, Pete crawling around her lap as she stroked his blond tufts of hair. I pulled out a dress, ankle length on Andra, bright blue and long sleeves, with a V-neck. It was straight, with only a little lace around the neck line and ruffles at the ends of the sleeves.

"Here, Andra. This one matches your feathers!" She stood carefully, and took the dress. She felt it and sighed. With a nod, I helped her undress and put the clean one on. She looked amazing in it and I reached for her hand. Tingling told me she was using me to see, and she gasped as she gazed over herself. I twirled her around and she giggled.

"Oh, Scarlet! It's beautiful!" I cringed at my name. I was used to Mother screaming it, and everyone else just calling me Autumn, which fit me more I think. I let go and she tilted her head. "Someone's coming up here." I hurried to hide the dresses, most of which I had made or bought for Andra, and she sat down again, playing with Pete. I sat down just as the door opened. I ruffled my brother's hair and saw the lord standing there.

"Wow, Andra! You look very pretty." She blushed and grinned. "Your mother says you are needed to serve us. And the kids need to come too." He retreated as I grabbed my little sister by her shoulders and guided her down the stairs, Little Pete in my arms. I set him down in his chair and Andra in hers, then began serving my family.

When breakfast was finished, I cleaned the dishes and the table and gathered my few packed things. Andra and I had already said our teary goodbyes, I kissed Pete's forehead and hugged my Father. With a small wave, I jumped on the lord's big horse and we thundered away.

***

We stopped for lunch in a grove of trees and I unpacked our lunches of leftover ham sandwiches. I bit into mine hungrily since it was my turn to fast today and let my sister eat. The lord stared at me, then set down his sandwich.

"Why do you two starve yourselves?"

"Because then Pete and our Father can eat."

"But that's not how it works!" he exclaimed, jumping to his feet. "Families share everything they have!"

"Try telling that to my mother." I finished my lunch and wiped my mouth.

"You know, your sister is an interesting girl. She plays beautifully."

"Yes, I know and am proud she can play." I looked at my hands regretfully. If only I hadn't spoken out of line... Scars criss crossed my hands, and my fingertips were forever burnt. Mother had been furious, she had forbidden me to play, and when that rule was broken, she had me whipped to get the musician out of me. He saw me looking at my ugly hands and gulped.

"Let me guess, your mother." I nodded and hid my hands. "She blinded your sister."

"And made my older sister betray her love for another disgusting man. A baker he is." I spat and rose to my bare feet. "My mother is a disgusting woman, torturing her children to do what she wants them to do. My mother used to be related to a lord, also. Her uncle in fact, took her in so she was raised as a lord's daughter. That spoiled her." I shook my head and stroked the beautiful horse's neck. He nudged my arm.

"What is your name? I never asked but I want to know." He strode up to his horse and I considered answering him. I sighed, knowing Andra would want me to answer her new found friend.

"It's Autumn."