~~~~~~~~

I started my exploration by taking a drive to see where it led me. It truly was beautiful country. I was surrounded by lush, green trees, and there were mountains everywhere you turned. Driving down the winding road, I smiled, thinking this part of the country definitely had character.

I stopped for a few minutes at the local Chamber of Commerce and picked up some brochures of area attractions. I hadn't realized how much of a tourist town the little place was. Glancing over all the brochures, I figured there would be lots of things for me to do and see during the coming weeks.

I hadn't been back on the road long when I began to pass by the most original and amusing advertisements I'd ever seen. I laughed out loud when I passed a sign advertising the opportunity to wrestle a bear, then another advertising a restaurant that served insanely large steaks. Ten and twenty pound ones, a low carb dieter's dream. Hey, I'm definitely a meat lover and have always watched my carbs. Appeals to me!

A couple of times I stopped on the side of the road and took pictures of various rock formations. I snapped a few shots of roadside stands filled with excited looking tourists clad in newly purchased Indian headdresses and beaded leather vests. Pairing the getup with printed summer shorts wasn't the best idea, though, I thought. The look shouted tourists. Looking down at my green khaki slacks and yellow short sleeved oxford shirt, I decided that as long as I didn't add feathers or beads to my outfit I'd be all right.

My continued exploring took me to the neighboring tourist town of Cherokee. I pulled over and parked. Snapping a small brown fanny pack around my waist, I began my trudge through hoards of people filing in and out of the various shops. The buildings were like mini Indian strip malls with large carved wooden animals standing as greeters at the doors.

After browsing in a couple of shops, I found a few things I liked and purchased them. I bought a couple of quilts, both hand stitched. I looked forward to wrapping up in them during the cool nights. I was now learning that every night in the mountains was cool, even in May, so the quilts would be perfect. They were both very beautiful. One had a blue and white log cabin pattern, the other, rose colored wedding rings.

While I absolutely adored the wedding ring one, I couldn't let my mind completely process the name of the pattern. Friendship ring. That's good enough. And it's close to the true name. After all, people are friends before they are married. I smiled and shook my head, dislodging my dwelling thoughts. Mercedes, girl, you think too much.

I looked down at my feet, pleased with the way the tan moccasins fit. I purchased four pair in various colors that I could match with different outfits. Glancing down at the box filled bag, I couldn't help wondering if the Indians of old color coordinated their shoes and clothes. I figured matching leather with leather would be pretty easy, especially if the shoes and clothes were both from the same animal.

Having finished shopping, I decided that I'd had enough exploration time in. I grabbed lunch at one of the small restaurants, then I headed back home, stopping a couple of times along the way at some small roadside shops to buy jewelry. Turquoise has always been my favorite color and stone, and sterling silver pieces with turquoise accents were in abundant supply.

I purchased several bracelets, necklaces, and pairs of earrings. As I watched the elderly Indian woman place the pieces in a bag, my thoughts shifted to my family, and the wheels of my sometimes devious mind began to turn.

The devilish side of me would love to see how they would react if I showed up one day for a visit with two braids, clothed in fringed leather and adorned with beads, feathers, and huge pieces of turquoise jewelry. My parents would swear that I'd gone off the deep end. Of course, that was their opinion of my decision to move to Maggie Valley in the first place. Me showing up in ethnic clothing would only validate their feelings and further throw them over the edge. The thought gave me a secret delight, but I suppressed the wicked desire.