Chapter 1: The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

CHAPTER 1

THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE

"I DON'T CARE!" Harry yelled at them, snatching up a lunascope and throwing it into the fireplace. "I'VE HAD ENOUGH, I'VE SEEN ENOUGH, I WANT OUT, I WANT IT TO END, I DON'T CARE ANYMORE!"

"You do care," said Dumbledore. He had not flinched or made a single move to stop Harry demolishing his office. His expression was calm, almost detached. "You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it."

I read the paragraph over again. I've read this book countless times but this single sentence still strikes me to the core.

"You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it."

"...bleed to death with the pain of it."

I ponder on the last few words. Sometimes I wonder, 'Is it even possible to feel this way? To care so much to the point of hurting?'

I think back to the time I felt the most pain—5 months ago, July 18, 2008—my 16th birthday. It was the day my mother died. Her passing was the most painful experience for me, but to say I could bleed to death because of it would be a lie. Perhaps I have been preparing myself for it for the last two years that the day she left me, I was ready to say goodbye.

Now, I wonder, if even my mother's death was not that painful for me, would I even get to feel any more pain at all?

I continue my reverie for a few more minutes when a voice interrupts my thoughts.

"Pleaseeeeee??" the same annoying voice that I have been hearing for the entire afternoon continues to plead. I ignore her and continue reading the book in my hand. We were supposed to be out in the poolside to enjoy basking under the sun, but here we are: I, trying to relax, with her trying to annoy the hell out of me. Right now, even J. K. Rowling's words are not enough to shut me out of reality.

Sigh. Yrina Agatha Salazar. God knows how I have enough energy to be her friend. Because both our fathers are ship captains, we've known each other since we were newborns. How she was since we were kids and how she is today holds no difference. She is still that same sweet but scheming girl who charms her way in getting what she wanted. To think that I would have already learned how to say no to her after all those years of friendship. But no, that is not the case.

At least not now.

If only I could put a duct tape around her mouth, I would. But I can't, first, because we were staying at her house for the holiday and second, because there was no duct tape to be seen at this poolside.

"Caleb!" She finally raises her voice and kicks my sunbed. She wanted me to come with her to support her friend on some talent contest happening this weekend. I was firm when I refused her, yet she never stopped insisting I come. And she, being herself, had been trying to convince me the second we entered the plane taking us to her hometown, Bohol.

It has been 5 days since. I finally close the book and sigh, "What time will that be again?" She almost leaps for joy at my question.

"At 6, Saturday," she squeals with satisfaction, assuming I had agreed to come with her.

"And your friend will be performing first?" I ask her, trying to find a way out.

"I don't exactly know when, but we have to be there by 5 so we can get good seats," she replies, shifting her body as she lies back on her sun bed.

"I haven't said yes yet. And you know how much I detest huge crowds," I mutter under my breath.

"I know, but I also know you love me enough to let me have my way," she smiles wide at me. There is no escaping this girl.