Chapter 6: Not What He Seems

Start from the beginning

"Maybe people don't change..." I mumbled in defeat, hanging my head.

"What?" Mabel asked, and I froze. Did I seriously just say that out loud?! Ugh, I'm so stupid! "No-nothing." I blurted out, and by the looks on their faces, I knew they weren't going to let that down. "Alright, (Y/N), spill the beans." Mabel demanded, crossing her arms. I looked at Dipper, and he was doing the same. I tensed, unsure of what to do. I can't tell them about Bill. Not yet. They'd be after him in a heartbeat, and I still needed to work out a plan to find out what he was up to. If I told them, they'll go after him, and he might hurt them...! My siblings leaned in, clearly impatient about what I had to say. "I... I..." I stuttered, but I couldn't even think of a lie to tell them.

"I need some fresh air!" I yelled, pushing them out of the way, and darting out of the room. I heard them shout in protest, and rapid footsteps followed me. I ran down the stairs and through the hallway. I saw Ford walking and as I passed him I called, "Grunkle Ford, distract them for me! Thanks!" I didn't stick around to hear his reply. I dashed out into the shop, bumping into Grunkle Stan, and I mumbled an apology as I left the Shack. The footsteps didn't follow me outside, and neither did their pleading shouts. Although I knew I would be safe for a while, I didn't dare stop running.

Soon, I saw houses, and then stores. I stopped for a second to catch my breath, gasping for air. I craned my neck to look behind me, but there was no sign of my siblings. I breathed a sigh of relief, and looked ahead. My heart dropped as I was in the middle of town. The same place as my nightmare. Flashes of screaming and the smell of smoke invaded my mind, and I tried to shake it away, but it wouldn't stop. That tear in the sky seared into my memories as the demonic laughter rang in my skull.

I jumped as someone blared their horn in their car, and I realized that I was standing in the middle of the road. I flushed bright red, and ran to the sidewalk, the stares of civilians only making my embarrassment worse.

I walked at a brisk pace, my eyes trained to the ground, and my arms crossed. Suddenly, a sweet, maple aroma engulfed my senses, and I glanced up to see Greasy's Diner. The sight of it almost made me cry as I remembered the time spent with Bill there. I hesitantly walked towards it, but didn't go inside. Instead, I made my way to the back, and slumped against the wall. I looked to my right to see a dumpster. I rested my hand on it, "We are the same, fellow trash."

I jumped as the back door of Greasy's opened up to my left, and I was met with Lazy Susan. She stared at me with a wide eye, and I stared back in shock. An uncomfortable silence hung in the air, and I realized that she was holding a full trash bag. I looked back up at her, and nervously laughed, "Trash, amiright?" Another uncomfortable silence. It dawned on me that I was standing in the way of the dumpster, and I quickly moved out of the way, almost tripping over my own feet. She threw the bag in without a word, and started to walk back inside, but paused. She turned to look at me, "You okay, hun?"

"Yesn't."

She stared at me, and shut the door, leaving me alone again. I slowly reached a hand up and felt my face, noticing that it was burning hot in embarrassment. I am such an idiot. Seriously? Yesn't? That's all you could say?! I mentally slapped myself, and I turned to leave, but froze. I looked up, my eyes meeting a gorgeous ocean blue one.

You have got to be kidding me.

"That was a tad embarrassing." Bill joked, his eye glimmering in amusement as he towered over me. As if I wasn't flushing enough already, my face felt even hotter than before, and I tensed. Bill's eye widened, "Woah, can uh, can humans like... overheat? Are-are you gonna be okay...?" When I didn't respond, he reached one of his hands towards my face, and I quickly pushed him away, taking a few steps back. He was noticeably offended, and there was evident concern etched onto his face. When I realized what I did, I crossed my arms, avoiding eye contact, "I-I'm fine. Just a little bit... flustered..."