The Doctor's Request

Chapter 02 - THE DOCTOR’S REQUEST

SAKURA: (thinking of the days events and feeling slightly embarrassed about needing to be carried to the doctor) Sano… um… I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused you.

SANOSUKE: Hey, I always do just what I want! Besides, I haven't had a good fight in a while… at least not until you got into town.

Sakura smiles a little as she drifts into unconsciousness. Sano feel her body go limp. Sakura has lost a lot of blood from the dagger wound and her body has been pushed to its limits. Sano knows time is of the essence and he begins to run.

Sanosuke finally reaches Dr. Gensai's house and is at the brink of exhaustion himself.

SANOSUKE: Dr. Gensai, it’s me Sano, open up!

Megumi opens the door, obviously upset at being prematurely awakened.

MEGUMI: Sano, what are you doing here so late? You can't just- (noticing the girl on his back) Who's that?

SANOSUKE: (with a sense of urgency) You've got to help her, she's already passed out from losing so much blood.

MEGUMI: (pointing to an empty room) Bring her in and put her down in there.

As Sano puts Sakura down Dr. Gensai walks in.

DR. GENSAI: (yawning) What's all the commotion? (noticing Sakura) Sakura-chan?

MEGUMI: She's lost a lot of blood; we're going to have to treat her quickly.

DR. GENSAI: Sano, please wait outside. Megumi, get the bandages.

As Megumi and Dr. Gensai work to treat Sakura's wounds, Sano sits outside looking at the stars. His mind begins to wander. Fragmented thoughts swirl in Sano’s mind. (What happened today…? All I wanted was some rice cakes… and now…? Sakura… Sakura, please be alright… What is this that I'm feeling…? It’s odd… it’s different… it’s weird! I know we just met today but… I can't get you out of my head. What's wrong with me? Why? Why Sakura… why can't I stop thinking about you?)

Megumi goes outside and sits next to Sano, interrupting his racing thoughts.

MEGUMI: Sano this is so unlike you, you look so pensive. So what's the deal with that girl anyway?

SANOSUKE: (being startled away from his contemplations) Huh? Oh, that's Kaoru's sister, Sakura. She just got into town today. What happened tonight… is a long story. (a long pause) I don't know if I have the energy to tell it.

MEGUMI: Sister huh…? I guess we know who got all the looks in the family, huh?! (Megumi starts cackling, but abruptly stops when she sees that Sano isn’t in a jovial mood.) Well anyway, you can go home now. Dr. Gensai is treating her ankle. Her stab wound was deep but it missed all the vital organs. She'll be fine with enough rest.

SANOSUKE: (hopeful) Has she regained consciousness?

MEGUMI: (a little hesitant) No.

SANOSUKE: I'll stay with her. (He put his head on his hands and stared into the night sky).

MEGUMI: What? Why?

SANOSUKE: She saved my neck a couple of times tonight. It's my turn to return the favor.

MEGUMI: But-

Before she could finish Sano has already left. Sano goes back in the house to check on Sakura for himself. As he enters the room where Sakura is being treated, he sees that Dr. Gensai is just leaving.

DR. GENSAI: Ah Sano, I just finished… (looking at Sano carefully). I take it from the look on your face that you are going to stay here tonight. I'll have Megumi bring you a blanket and I will check on the two of you in the morning.